Sunday, November 29, 2009

Birthday girls

Hannah and Elizabeth turned 7 last weekend during a weekend-long extravaganza of gifts and cake and lots of delighted screaming.
It all began a year ago when I swore that we were done with birthday parties ... until Hannah and Lizzie asked if they could have JUST ONE MORE. So I did because I am an overly indulgent parent AND I like dolls. And this year's theme was 'bring your favorite doll.' So it was all good.
Lizzie received her new favorite doll the evening before. This is Lizzie meeting Chrissa, her American Girl doll for the first time. She was BEYOND excited because about 15 minutes earlier I had SWORN to her that she wasn't getting this doll for her birthday. Actress that I am, she believed me and was shocked when she opened her gift.Hannah's American Girl doll (whose name this week is Sarah -- a huge step forward because nearly every stuffed animal and doll and fish she has ever owned has been named Hannah...) watched as she opened her gift, the American Girl pet Coconut, complete with his own bath stuff.
Here they all are. The big difference between the dolls is that Lizzie actually plays with hers. Hannah just likes to stare at hers and say, "Isn't she beautiful, Mommy?" Or yell at me because she's convinced that I've played with Sarah while she's been at school because there are two or three hairs out of place. Hannah's more inclined to play now that Lizzie is, but she's still very worried about the state of the doll's hair and clothing.The next day was the girls' actual birthday and birthday party. We invited all the girls in both their classes and just about everyone came. It had the potential to be VERY LOUD but I had come up with the brilliant idea that we'd all watch one of the American Girl movies for 90 minutes of the 2.5 hour party.
Except of course, the girls weren't much interested in the movie. THEY were interested in running around the house, playing tag, screaming, riding the ride-on horse, screaming, eating pizza, screaming and then screaming some more. Here most of them are with their dolls, watching the movie for the 3.75 minutes that they were all sitting there:
Luckily I am flexible, so the movie went off, we had our annual treasure hunt and then everyone headed outside to play. Let me tell you, God was on my side as the temps were in the upper 60s that day which is quite unusual for November. In fact when I checked out my blog last year it snowed the day before the girls' birthday.
This year the girls were separated at school, so I separated their cakes, too, and we had TWO rounds of Happy Birthday. Here's Rob lighting the candles on Hannah's butterfly cake, which is actually a dozen cupcakes that are all frosted together:Hannah getting ready to blow out her candles.
Here is Lizzie blowing out the candles on her cake:
Close-up of Lizzie's cake where you can see the cupcakes. They sell these at my local supermarket and I think they're better than a big cake because each kid gets their own cupcake and you don't have to worry about slicing a cake.

There was much more partying to be done as we celebrated some more on Thanksgiving Day at Grandma Connie's, but I'll post those pictures as part of my blog on our Thanksgiving weekend which, if you're lucky (or not?!) I'll post before Christmas.

No comments: