Sunday, August 15, 2010

Sliding through summer

This is the scene of my almost first heart attack. I know. It looks so innocent and pretty. It's a lovely scene from nature. And, in fact, it IS pretty. This is the backyard of another branch of the Bentley family (my sister's family by marriage) and we were invited for a late summer barbecue and to swim.


And the swimming was lovely. Here's Lizzie enjoying floating around in the baby pool. Better watch out you don't go over the falls... ha, ha, ha.
Cue the scary music. Because right after I saw the above scene, I saw THIS one. Those are Hannah's feet that appear to be sticking out the side of the SLIDE (yes, that's a slide into the pool...) Let's take a look at it from another angle, okay...
Oh yeah, there she is, careening down the water slide flying all over the place at about 127 miles per hour... This is a picture of Rob watching her (these are all different runs on the slide, by the way, which is why the innertube color keeps changing -- you are not losing your mind Aunt Brenda...) and, as you can see, he's very concerned (not) and ready to jump in and save his daughters (double not.) I was having a heart attack every time either one of them came down the big slide. And there WAS a little slide that merely gave me some indigestion...
Hannah, floating happily among the innertubes. I wanted her to STAY in the water, but it didn't happen. For approximately 2 hours ALL they did was go flying down these slides. Eventually I made them eat a hot dog and go home, but I swear to you that they'd still be there trying to kill me with their daredevil moves.
Here's Lizzie landing in the water. Yes, she looks like she's having fun. I guess ONE of us should be having fun.
Here they both are coming down the slide one after the other. Because a SINGLE heart attack was not enough for their poor mama.

Hmmmm, Hannah is thinking, what can I do NEXT to scare Mommy?Oh, I know, I can come down the slide and try to kick another innertube out of the way, right after Lizzie fell out of it...
Ha, Mom, how was THAT???

I just love this picture of Lizzie, which I managed to take after calming down a little, once I realized that they were actually pretty good at sliding. Doesn't she look like she's having a blast?
And here they both are, trying to kill me at the same time again. Lizzie's just come down the small slide and Hannah's trying to catch some air (trust me there was LOTS of air caught) coming down the big slide.
We really all had a great time. Them in the pool and me getting to spend some time chatting with family and eating barbecued chicken. Thanks Scott and Susan! Oh, and Rob thinks this means we don't have to go to the water park in the Poconos this year. I'm pretty sure the girls will NOT agree! They're just practicing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG Tracy! I can SO identify with your terror and worries about these things! My little man is a daredevil (like I NEVER was) and I am forever having moments where I am trying to let him have fun while at the same time not freaking out and yelling "get off that now!" I guess it's not just a "boy thing"!
-Lynn

Cindy said...

Oh, that is awesome! I love the shots you took of the girls-- they are so beautifully and amazingly thrilled!!