Monday, December 13, 2010

Nutcracker!!

It's been a while since I've blogged, so here's an extra long, picture filled post. Let the celebrating begin!

Anyone who knows us (which is probably everyone reading this blog!) knows that we have been consumed with "The Nutcracker" since the fall. This was the girls first (and possibly only) Nutcracker so they were angels. They were spectacular and worked very hard to learn the dances. They both want to be in the show again next year when they can also be sheep and polis and little mice. Of course this means that they will have to continue taking ballet and Hannah has already expressed her displeasure with it. Lizzie is still on the fence. So we'll see. I have been very clear from the beginning of dance that the Nutcracker was all about ME and that I wanted them to be in it one time so I could sit in the back of the darkened theater and cry about how gorgeous and talented they are. With that mission accomplished they can give up dance tomorrow and I'll be fine with it. Here they are as angels. I spent the entire production backstage, and you're not allowed to take pictures in any of the common rooms, so I got them in the very un-Christmasy stairwell:
The was at the cast party. Hannah is here with Karla, another of the angels. There were 24 angels in all. I know this because at least twice during every performance I had to get each of them into and out of their costumes!
Lizzie at the cast party with her favorite cupcake. Can you tell from this picture that fewer than 24 hours later she would be holding back vomit during the last scene of the ballet? Well, my little trouper picked up a stomach virus and insisted on performing anyway because the family was all there to see her on Sunday. So she did it and then at the very end when the last angel had run from the stage she threw up in a garbage can. AND she did not get any on her costume. AND someone else cleaned it up BEFORE they came and got me. BONUS all around!

After the show (the Sunday show was a near sell-out by the way -- which they said hadn't happened in years and I suggest is owed to the number of people we had in the audience!!) we had people over for a little get-together. Here's the special angel cake I got from our favorite bakery (Churchill's in Pottstown, if you're local). The cakes are expensive, but so very very worth it (once a year!):
Here I am cutting the cake. As you can see, Lizzie is still up and around and having fun. Each of the girls got to invite a friend and the little girl standing by Lizzie is Phoebe (and Phoebe's mom Jen), who is actually Hannah's best friend. The Kevins were also able to come to the show:

Aunt Tina also came to the show and went home not only with good memories, but also Lizzie's germs, which had her down for the count at the Garrity Christmas gathering (which I'll post about in the next couple of days). By the way, thanks to Grandma Connie for some of these photos ... I was exhausted by the time the party rolled around and didn't take too many photos. Thankfully someone was on top of it!!
Speaking of the Kevins, here are the girls with Little Kevin:
The Kevins took the opportunity to give the girls birthday presents in addition to the gazillion flowers they got. Here they are opening some of the gifts while Grandma Connie watches. They seriously think their birthday lasts for three weeks. Whenever they go anywhere in November and December someone is giving them a present:

Hannah was over the moon excited about the HUGE makeup tray she got. Here she's putting some eye shadow on Tanja (also known as Girlfriend Kevin):


And here's one of my favorite shots. Big Kevin putting some lipstick on Hannah:
This though is my FAVORITE shot. Hannah putting some eye shadow on Big Kevin. By this time Lizzie was passed out on one of the chairs on the family room. She slept for about an hour or so:


Lizzie finally woke up and enjoyed looking at the pictures Kevin had taken while she was sleeping. She's smiling here, but she was sick for several days and didn't go back to school until THURSDAY of last week. Also, in addition to making Aunt Tina sick, she also gave Rob her germs, so he was sick, too:

Yet despite the sickness, it still was a great show and a fun day for family and friends and kicked the Christmas season into high gear for me. Mostly because I realized I'd done very little Christmas shopping and the big day was fewer then three weeks away!
In closing, here are twin roses the girls got that looked just as perfect as the performance:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Got a peek at your haircut...looks great!

Glad everyone had a nice time.

Aunt A