Sunday, December 19, 2010

Pre-Christmas Weekend

It's Christmas time in Garrity/Rasmussen land and that means lots of traveling and eating and socializing and did I mention eating? Here's what we've been up to the last couple of weekends. Oh and before I get any further into this post I need to apologize to my sister in law Ann who planned and brilliantly executed the Garrity Christmas gathering last weekend -- because I had NO pictures of her to post. Not even a bad one. So I'm a loser on that count. But the dinner was DELICIOUS and I did get several pictures of my niece and nephew!!
For instance here's Tommy and Grandma discussing the finer points of the iPod Touch:


Here's Grandma Jo looking very festive in her green scarf and red cup. As I've mentioned before people from Florida think it's cold when the temperature is below 75 degrees, so no one is surprised when they wear outerwear indoors, especially when it matches the season so beautifully:

The family patriarch opening some of his birthday presents. We always celebrate Grandpa's birthday at these gatherings but I can't tell you how old he is because he would be mad at me and cut me out of the will. Also, he is so old that I can't remember.

In case you're new here and were wondering about the crowns we are all wearing, we open Christmas crackers, wear the crowns and tell the jokes that are inside. Tommy's joke: What's is called when you're afraid of Christmas? Claustrophobia! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!
Rob made himself useful by carving the turkey. That boy will go to any lengths to avoid talking to the in-laws, won't he (kidding!!!):
The day was extra special because Santa stopped by, courtesy of the Somers Fire Department. Here are the kids posing with the Jolly Old Elf and the candy canes they got:
Here they are waiting for their candy canes. Rob was very patient and allowed the other kids to get their candy canes first:

When it was time to leave though, Rob had the most enthusiastic wave goodbye. This was not because of the candy cane though, it's because Rob knows that every gift that Santa brings is one less that he has to purchase:
No Christmas gathering is without drama though, and this year the drama was provided by this little elf who very (not) graciously gave her stomach bug to Aunt Tina last weekend after the Nutcracker.
And then Aunt Tina (not) graciously gave it this little elf, causing a THREE STATE infection of the stomach bug:

When we Rasmussens do something, we do it in a BIG way. But hey, Lizzie, it's not really anything to laugh at!!

Luckily both my mom and I escaped the stomach bug and managed to ignore those who were dropping like flies around us. I include this photo that Ann took because it's a great photo of my Mom and I...

... AND shows how good we were at ignoring the sickies. Here we are smiling away, chatting and having a great Christmas dinner while Aunt Tina ... well ... isn't looking so good on her side of the table:

So that was LAST weekend. This weekend we decided to break with tradition and have the girls decorate our Christmas Tree. It is Rasmussen tradition that Santa brings the tree and decorates it on Christmas Eve when he leaves the gifts. This tradition becomes a little odd when the kids in the house know that the Christmas tree AND the ornaments are stored in the basement. So after much begging and pleading (and the girls asked, too!) Santa wrote a note to Rob insisting that the girls help him out this year because he was extra busy and wouldn't have time to decorate the tree. The girls took the job VERY seriously. Here's Hannah:
Hannah wanted me to take a picture of her holding EVERY SINGLE ORNAMENT. I obliged with this one, which is actually one of Lizzie's ornaments:
Lizzie also took the job very seriously:


As did Rob (who required the usual Hickory Farms Bribe (I mean BEEF) stick to participate:
Happy girls with their tree. The Styrofoam ornament just to the right of Hannah's head is the oldest on our tree. It's an ornament made to look like me and was given to my parents when I was a toddler making ... well let's just leave it at the oldest ornament on our tree. :)
The finished product:

No comments: