Thursday, January 27, 2011

10 things

Here are 10 things I was planning to blog about but didn't get around to it because I'm a slacker. They are in no particular order -- I don't want you to think they are building to a spectacular ending or anything....

1) Hannah needs glasses. I think I mentioned before that she failed her eye exam at school. The note came home in November. So being the incredibly involved Mom that I am, I made her an eye doctor appointment. For January. I wasn't entirely sure that she needed glasses because she seems to have excellent vision when it comes to spotting the last chocolate chip cookie on the shelf or a cherry chapstick that I've hidden for the next time the tooth fairy needs to come. And I was sort of right. Hannah doesn't need glasses, she needs BIFOCALS. Seriously. The doc said it was pretty rare and he expected her to grow out of it, but she has trouble focusing so she can't see far away nor can she see close up. We got her a pair of Lily Pulitzer glasses and now Lizzie wants glasses, too.


2) The school bus never came last week. It was the coldest day of the year and we were standing at the bottom of the driveway for 20 minutes before we decided to wait in the car. Then one of my neighbors drove by and told me that someone forgot to start the school buses early that morning so they didn't start and we were all left out in the cold. So I drove the girls to school only to wait in a line of about 125 cars to do the drop off. It turns out that 20 of the buses didn't start that morning. Luckily my car did. Here's the bus in happier (warmer) times:




3) Lizzie came in fourth for the district PTA Reflections Photography contest. We were supposed to go to the awards ceremony last Tuesday but it snowed and it got canceled. To which my ever-optimistic daughter replied: "The worst things always happen to me!" I'm sure the event will be rescheduled for the spring sometime.



4) I want Colin Firth to win the Academy Award for Best Actor. I have a crush on him. I have no idea why but I think it has something to do with the accent. I'm planning on bumping into him when we go to London in two years. Cute, isn't he?


5) I have discovered that the trick to a successful playdate is to have Hannah and Lizzie EACH invite someone over. I actually spent an afternoon with NO FIGHTING when both girls had a friend over. Even the dog seemed happier. Here's Hannah, Marley, Lizzie and Keira enjoying the snack I made for them:



And Hannah and Marley enjoying the gazillion different dress-up outfits we have in the playroom:


6) Cash does not mind losing a his hair. In fact, he loves running around in the snow without his coat on. Just like Hannah and Liz.

7) I made tofu brownies the other day and they were very very good. They also prove that not everything made with tofu is healthy as they also contained butter and chocolate chips. No eggs though, so no chickens had to die for the sake of my chocolate fix.

8) And speaking of chocolate, it's Girl Scout Cookie time. If you're reading this and I've forgotten to bug you and you WANT to be bugged let me know and I'll have Hannah and/or Liz call to get your cookie order. This year you can also donate your cookies to the troops and we'll send them to Iraq or Afghanistan. Oh, and Hannah and Lizzie each wanted to sell 300 boxes this year and so far they have each sold 14 so we have some work to do.
9) I was looking for my Equal Rights Amendment bracelet for a school project for Hannah and while I didn't find that, I DID find my college tuition bill from 1979 where tuition AND room and board came in right around $3,500 or about $7,000 for the year. Just for comparison I looked up what it would cost my parents to send me to Simmons today. Room and board for students at Simmons now is $44,700 GULP!

10) We have about 15 or 16 inches of snow in our backyard and I took photos. YAY for photos! I'll post them tomorrow or the next day. Promise! (Unless I forget...)

No comments: