Thursday, January 6, 2011

Simple Woman's Daybook

For January 6, 2011

Outside my window... It's C.O.L.D. But sunny, so I'm grateful for that. We're expecting snow tonight or tomorrow morning, but just enough to probably cancel school since the buses can't get around the hills and mountains of Chester County if there is more than 1/4-inch of precipitation on the ground. Of course we need milk so it will probably be a blizzard.

I am thinking... about buying a wood stove. Or long johns. Or both.

I am thankful ... that Cash seems to have recovered fully from his recent surgery. Although we all did kind of like the quieter, not-so-jumpy version of our dog. It's possible that the blessing that Hannah gave him with my holy water from Knock, Ireland helped speed his recovery. I don't know what would have happened if I had let her baptize him, as she first requested.

From the kitchen... POT ROAST IN THE CROCKPOT. There is nothing I like better than having dinner nearly all done by 10 a.m. Today I think I may toss some small potatoes in the gravy and let them cook for a little while. Usually I just serve the pot roast with egg noodles, but I've got these tiny taters left over from Christmas and I want to use them before they grow eyes. I love potatoes in all versions except when they are looking at me.

I am wearing... black track pants, blue shirt, maroon big shirt and SOCKS -- which shows you just how cold my house is.
I am creating... essays. One of my New Year's resolutions was to have an essay published in a major magazine or the NYTimes Modern Love section so I've been working on that.

I am going ... to write a story about an ABBA tribute band. Seriously, did you know that ABBA is the top selling international band of all time? So they have tribute bands, one of which is coming to Reading in a few weeks. I actually talked to one of the musicians from the original ABBA (not the singers -- they don't have anything to do with ABBA anymore), so this is sort of the BIGGEST tribute band. But I have to be honest that I thought I was talking to one of the members of the REAL ABBA. It helps to read the emails before the interview.
I am reading... "Little Earthquakes" for book club in a week or so. So far it's okay, but I'm barely into it.
I am hoping... to find out what is wrong with my Achilles tendon on my right foot. It looks like tendonitis, but since that is usually caused by overuse in runners, the orthopod may go in a different direction (too tight shoes, perhaps?)

I am hearing... a commercial on television that I swear just said, "If you know someone with schizophrenia who was just released from prison within the past six months, have them call this number to participate in a research study..." I am very happy that I don't know anyone like that.

Around the house... laundry, laundry, laundry!

One of my favorite things... Lizzie's sense of humor. On New Year's Eve we were telling each other what resolutions we thought they should make, and her resolution for Rob was: "Get better jokes." It still makes me laugh when I think about it.

A few plans for the week ahead... Nothing big for the weekend which is just fine by me.
A picture I am sharing... Aunt Tina stopped by on her way to NY for Christmas so she, Aunt Terry and Shelby and I all got together for a pre-Christmas lunch at the Coventry Tea Room. A good time was had by all -- the cream puffs guarantee that!!

No comments: