Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Birthday and other updates

Don't you hate it when work interferes with your social life?

That's exactly what happened to me last week when for reasons I can't explain, other than procrastination, I ended up writing five stories. F.I.V.E. When I worked full time as a reporter I don't think I wrote five stories in a week. Sometimes not even in a month. But those were the good old days.

Now I DO get to write five stories in a week AND get paid about a third of what I got paid before, which is, adjusted for inflation, about two thirds below the poverty line.

Luckily I love what I do, so that makes up for the lack of income... sort of.
Anyway, the extra work, plus a sick child, plus a husband prepping for and having a colonoscopy made it impossible for me to blog last week.

I did however, turn 51 on October 3rd. We had a fun day ... he's the story in photos....

Lizzie was very happy that we got to go out to a restaurant and have lunch. Mom's birthday is COOL:

In fact, we all enjoyed the St. Peter's Inn for lunch. It was supposed to rain on my birthday, but instead, we had a beautiful day that was perfect for eating al fresco. In this picture you can see that I was having a chicken sandwich and a baked potato. The girls were having chicken fingers and fries and Rob was having something fattening. Plus the girls' leftover fingers and fries.
After lunch we took a drive into Phoenixville because my friend Denise's crafts were being featured at a local store and they were having a party to celebrate it. Denise's website is http://www.stagsgiftsfromtheheart.com/Gallery/index.htm. I have some of her signs in my house, but on this day I bought the girls these cute ballerina purses. They are actually meant to hang from a hook in a girl's room, but Hannah and Liz decided they'd take them to dance class with their dance shoes tucked inside:
Then it was time to go home for cake and PRESENTS!! Here Rob lights the candles on my cake, after turning off the smoke detectors:Everyone sang Happy Birthday. In fact my sisters Tally and Beanie called and sang to me, too. I got messages from them because soon after the cake was eaten, we lost power and the only phone that works in a power outage was turned off so I never heard anything ring. Luckily the power was restored two hours later, just as it was getting dark, because we had burned all the candles in the house, on my birthday cake: The birthday girl, happy to report that I blew out all the candles on the first try:
I got many wonderful gifts for my birthday. I must be predictible because I got several gift cards for Dunkin' Donuts and my own stash of DD ground coffee, plus iTunes gift certificates and more coffee. The girls got me several pairs of very warm and fluffy socks that they had stuffed inside a HUGE tote bag that will be perfect to take everything to the pool this summer. However, Lizzie's gift really touched my heart. She knew that I wanted a poodle for my birthday, so she MADE ME ONE!! Isn't she the sweetest? Here I am with my dog:

In other news ...

* Hannah came home from school on Thursday with a sinus infection so she got to attend Rob's colonoscopy on Friday. Don't worry, she wasn't in the room or anything. She was, however, thrilled by the revolving door leading into the building and went round and round about 47 times before respiking her fever up to 102 and having to go home and rest.

* Rob's colonoscopy was clear. Yay!!!

* Tracy needs to go for a colonoscopy, too, but after seeing the prep is not in any hurry.

* Hannah was well enough to go to a birthday party on Saturday. Rob went with her and I took Lizzie over to Michael's (Hannah calls it the Crap Store) where she decorated a pumpkin. Then we went out to lunch at the ice cream parlor and had a hot dog and ice cream (I skipped the ice cream).

* I'm not getting ready to take Lizzie to the doctor because she has an ear infection that kept her up last night, sent her to the nurse twice today (she refused to come home both times, but like the TLC she got from the nurse, I guess). She had no fever so she stayed in school. Now, though, her temp is 101.4 and the hot oil treatment didn't help at all, so it's off to the doctor we go. Again. Seriously this happens once a year that they are both sick for about three weeks and then they aren't sick again for the year. At least I hope that's the case this time.

* I have a meeting with an agent tomorrow. Keep your fingers crossed!!!

No comments: