Sunday, May 30, 2010

The Kevins

Last weekend we had the girls' birthfamily -- lovingly referred to as The Kevins -- to our home for our annual picnic. This was the first year we've hosted it (we usually go to the park nearer their home), and I have to say it was a raging success. It's always a little nerve-wracking before the get-together because I don't know what emotions it's going to spark (in any/all of us) but I always know that it's going to be a good time and it's always going to be all right.
This year was no exception, as these pictures show.
Most people don't understand open adoption and how and why it works so well, but -- and I can only speak for our open adoption -- it really just does. The girls like seeing The Kevins and knowing that there is this whole other family who loves them. And I love seeing how all The Kevins grow and change over the year. I love that I can see things in Big Kevin and Little Kevin that are so much a part of Hannah and Lizzie. You can really see the nature vs. nurture up close and personal when we all get together!
So here are the kids playing frisbee in the backyard:
This was (obviously!) later in the evening when the kids all started jumping off the swings and slides. Hannah, for reasons I can't explain, is wearing my slippers:

Big Kevin, Grandma Kevin and Girlfriend Kevin (I just made that one up ... this is the first time we've met Big K's girlfriend):

I am always amazed at how much Little Kev and Lizzie look alike. Hannah and Little Kev have the same dark hair and eyes, but Lizzie and Little Kev have the same face:
The whole family just hanging around:

No comments: