So, it was about 3:30 today and the girls and I were watching "The Princess Diaries" because it was raining. It really seemed like a typical summer storm, with thunder and lightning that shook the house a bit. Honestly we've had much worse storms. We lost the power for about 30 seconds after a large clap of thunder and I happened to look out the family room slider door to see leaves from trees, when, in fact there are no trees in that particular area of the backyard. Then I heard a very loud voice in my ear yelling to Get Down In the Basement, so I got the girls and the dog and down to the basement we went. The house shook a little more and the wind was kind of loud, but it really only lasted about 90 seconds. So I was pretty surprised when I went upstairs (to check on the hamsters and the bird -- the girls stayed in the basement) and I looked out the windows and saw that the little storm had caused some major damage. We are all fine and there was no structural damage to the house, although the same can't be said for the girls' beloved swingset. Here's some of what our yard looks like.
Here's the driveway. You can see that there is a poplar tree across the driveway, but what you can't see is the live power line that the tree took down with it, which is across my front yard. PECO is supposed to come and fix it, but I haven't seen them yet and it's 12:12 a.m. We have power, but the people who live behind us and next to us do not. Our neighbor came by with his chainsaw and cleared the driveway for us -- nice people!
This is the backyard and that little piece of brown wood that you can sort of see in the middle of the picture, is the girls playset, which was shattered into way more pieces than can be nailed back together again:

A different angle of the tree that came down. The tree is on our neighbor's property, the branches are on ours:
This is the tree. I'm standing in the backyard shooting the picture towards our neighbor's property. The tree limbs that came down are still sort of connected to the tree...

As you can see in this picture... This is the base of the tree in our neighbor's yard. You can see another tree that came down in a similar manner right behind it:

Another picture of the second tree ... this one fell in the woods behind our house ... I haven't been back there to investigate what it looks like:.jpg)
.jpg)
The remains of the girls' playset. We bought it from my friend Melinda when Hannah and Lizzie were 2 or 3 and they've played with it more than any other toy. They were just playing on it yesterday, in fact. It will be sorely missed.
This is their little playhouse which was unscathed ... probably the tree limbs were afraid of the spiders in there, just like Hannah and Liz! In the lower right corner you can see more swingset rubble:.jpg)
.jpg)
Here are the girls standing in the backyard by the tree. There was some other damage in the neighborhood, but most families were okay, except for some people who belong to our pool. They had a tree crash into the second story of their home, crushing their daughter's bedroom. Although the son was home, he wasn't injured, but the house is in rough shape. So rough, in fact that it (and several of our neighbors) were on the 11 o'clock news -- lead story.
I hope that we'll get to the cleanup pretty soon, but with more storms (and worse storms) predicted for tomorrow, we'll just wait and see when we get around to it. I mean seriously, who wants to clean up TWICE??






1 comment:
Oh, Tracy - glad that you all are okay but what a mess. Sorry about the girls tree house and Rob's tomato garden. There will be a LOT of cleanup - can anyone use the cut trees for fireplaces? So sorry about your neighbors who had the serious damage. Scary for all involved.
Post a Comment