Saturday, October 27, 2012

Sports Round-up

Yes, you read the title of this post correctly ... it is about SPORTS.
I'll give you a minute to collect yourself after that statement.
Seriously this past week I went to not one sporting event but TWO (actually THREE if you count the fact that when I went to my nephew's 5th grade football game, the 4th grade football team was still playing their game, so I watched the last quarter of that one, too) and now I am good for the rest of my life at least the next five years.

First up is Tommy's football game. I think the last time I was at a football game my other nephew Casey was in 5th grade football -- and now he's a sophomore in college. It was a great day to be outside though, and the game was played at my old high school so it was interesting to see that again (the last time I was there was my brother and sister's high school graduation which was, I think, in 1984). It was very very very different. I don't even think there was an electronic scoreboard when I was in high school and I KNOW there wasn't an announcer's box.

This is Tommy running onto the field (and it shows the scoreboard):

 This is a little closer shot of Tommy running onto the field:
Here is the cheering section: Uncle T.A. made us all wear Tuskers paraphernalia. Oh and I ahve no idea who that lade in the front is and since the Yorktown people sat next to us (instead of across the field where they are supposed to sit) she may not even be a Tusker fan:

I wasn't the only celebrity at the game, either. This is state senator Greg Ball. We discovered during the brief conversation that T.A. allowed his ardent Democrat sister to have with the Republican State Senator that we have a lot in common. For instance he went to Valley Forge Military Academy and I have driven by Valley Forge Military Academy. Senator Ball is on the right. TA (one of the assistant coaches for Tommy's team) is in the middle and the other guy has something to do with football (because he new all the players names) but I can't remember his name. 

And this guy was the real celeb ... he's about to deploy to Afghanistan for a year so he won't see any more of his son Liam's games this season or next season:

 He led the Pledge of Allegiance and here he is saluting the flag while the National Anthem is sung. We all hope he returns safely.
So that was my weekend (oh and we did have a great time hanging out with all of the Garritys, too! It was great to finally meet Coco, the new family member!)

However the sports just kept going!! The girls both signed up to do the 1-mile Cross Country Run in a local park. It's an annual tradition for the 4th and 5th graders to do it. I can safely say that we will ONLY be doing this in 4th grade. Neither of my daughters likes to run 15 feet, much less a whole mile (and it didn't help that first they walked the course and then immediately had to race it.) Interestingly Lizzie finished only one or two people ahead of Hannah. Lizzie took it all in stride and was mad that she didn't get a medal like her friend Keira, but Hannah was MAD that she had to run A WHOLE MILE. WHY was she so hot? WHY was her face flushed? WHY did her legs hurt so much .... Seriously she sounded just like I did when I saw that I had to down a THIRD escalator to get to the Westminster Tube in London. We Rasmussen women prefer to ride. However, she did finish the race and she did not come in last. And in my book that is a WIN (so we don't have to do it again next year...)

Here is Lizzie just about to cross the finish line -- and she's even smiling a little:
 And here's Hannah .... no smile there. As you can see she is VERY MAD. Luckily I told her that no matter how much I wanted to do this again next year, she did not have to. Or Lizzie. That is why I am an AWESOME mom.
And this concludes my once a decade or so post about sports... 

2 comments:

Aunt Brenda said...

Love this posting. Nice to see the Garrity clan at Tommy's game and the race that the girls really did not want to do.

Aunt Terry said...

I don't know, I'd keep the girl's running, training for our next trip so they can keep up with me on those forced marches :)