Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Girl Scouts

(See the post below this one for a Way Back post!)

One of the things that has kept me busy (for the last four years!) has been leading Hannah and Lizzie's girl scout troop. I started with about 20 girls in Brownies, but we've settled into 14 girls, which is much more manageable! I'm also the program director for our local service unit (all the troops in the OJR school district) so I get to try and come up with interesting things for my troop to do, but also coordinate the activities of the service unit.
So here are a couple of things we've been doing -- which mostly involves being silly:


We also sold a bunch of girl scout cookies, so we are celebrating (well, they are!) by going to Bounce U and staying overnight. Luckily (and I mean that from the bottom of my heart!) parent don't have to pay for the sleepover/bounce experience so I've got several moms going, too.

We also participated in a dance a thon to raise money and donated item for a local little girl who is very ill. Here's Hannah at the dance a thon:

And here are Lizzie and her bestie Keira at the dance. This is the look Lizzie gave me when she saw me out on the dance floor with my walker. Priceless!!

We also participated in a service project making Quillows for Kyle's Quillows, which donates them to children with cancer or other diseases that require hospitalizations. Much to my surprise both Hannah and Lizzie were able to pin and sew the quillows. At home I still worry about them when they've got scissors!

Here's Hannah pinning one of the patterns:
 And Lizzie working one of the sergers. My mother would be very impressed since my one and only childhood sewing project consisted of a skirt that took about 4 months and 47 yards of material to complete.
This service project was part of a sister troop's Bronze Award and I think by the time they were all done nearly 50 quillows were made!

1 comment:

Aunt Brenda said...

What a great service project. Good going girls.