In previous years the previews had to held at a time when a school administrator was available to vet the acts and make sure no one was wearing spaghetti straps or singing songs about alcohol, but when I talked to the principal about open dates, she told me that she TRUSTED ME to handle it by myself. Oh. My. Gravy.
So, that's how it happened. I did eventually get some help from PTA members and my girl scout troop and my husband (who had no choice) and I have to say that while it was a lot of work and somewhat nerve-wracking (one of the kids decided to do his own little comedy act on stage when he was supposed to be singing....) it ended well and that is all that matters.
Lizzie stopped piano lessons (insert huge sob here) in September and she couldn't get a song together in a month to be in the show and she didn't want to participate anyway. Well, the joke was on her because since I was the coordinator and the only person at the try-outs, and Rob was unavailable to stay home, she ended up going to every single try-out and every single rehearsal. And then I made her put names on the performers' chairs on the night of the show.
Hannah, on the other hand, had a cold but previewed one of this year's pageant songs. I went back and forth on this choice for the pageant, but she loves it, so I let her sing it. Here's a youtube video from the show of Hannah singing "On My Own" from Les Miserables. She actually sang the second verse first and then again the second time. I was worried it would throw her off, but she said she didn't even really notice she'd done that. I had technical difficulties so a friend of mine videoed this on her phone and posted it to youtube for me.
I also asked my Girl Scout Troop to do the decorations so they colored in the letters for the school, and then I bought a huge pack of stars, stuck some stickers on them and strung them in twos and threes. On the night of the show I had some help, so I didn't have to climb the ladder to hang the stuff up. So no ambulance was needed.
Here's a picture of my best helper though. Rob was very busy that week, but he came through in the clutch and was my stage manager. YAY!!!
And here's a closeup of Hannah in her outfit. Unfortunately soon after this picture was taken I decided to dye this green and ended up ruining the dress (which did not take the dye at all, but did get all wrinkly and ripped) so we ended up getting her a peasant girl outfit that she'll wear in the pageant.
I have already been asked to coordinate again next year and I said


No comments:
Post a Comment