A terrible thing happened ... my scanner stopped working. Which makes blogging much more difficult. Lots of other things have been going on, too, so in the next day or two (promise, Aunt Brenda!) I'll have a couple of posts up.
But first, since I managed to fix my scanner (techie that I am!) I thought I'd end my blog break with a Way Back post with TWO photos.
My Great Aunt Marion was my grandmother's (Garrity) sister. She was a very nice lady, although I didn't know her well. She came to visit a few times and I remember her as being a little chubby, a little funny and really quite nice. She had a high-pitched laugh and a twinkle in her eye.
But what I remember most about Aunt Marion is that one day she sat me down and told me how much I reminded her of herself. "You and your sister (Aunt Anonymous) remind me of your grandmother and me," she said.
I was horrified because I had no intention to grow old and chubby no matter how nice and friendly and funny she was. I was all of 12 at the time and not at all ready to be compared to a senior citizen, although I totally agreed Aunt Anonymous would one day grow old like grandma.
So here's the first picture ... I believe that it captures their personalities quite well. Grandma is on the left, Aunt Marion is on the right. As you can see, Grandma is quite regal and ladylike. Aunt Marion, is well, kind of a goofy hippie (although don't we all seriously covet that outfit she's wearing?) However, I wasn't willing to go so far as to say that Aunt A and I were their doubles...
...Until I came across THIS family picture of the Garrity clan as children. AND, as you can see, Aunt Anonymous is a very regal and ladylike 9-year-old and I am, well, a kind of goofy hippie 8-year-old. So there you have it...
(PS: The others in the picture are my sisters Terry, in front, and Beanie, the baby on the right, and my brother T.A.)


3 comments:
Welcome back to blogland!
Love the family picture!!
Must say your dress is similiar to Aunt Marion's :)
Post a Comment