Monday, August 26, 2013

Poconos 3 of 3

So, what exactly do we do all week? Well Grandpa goes to play golf. Here's the foursome out on the links, which, from the looks of it was a par 17. :) Shelby didn't really golf, but the other three did. I was happy to be a part of the gallery for one hole.
The adults spend a lot of time in front of the condos sitting and talking to each other, so the younger set is often left to its own devices. Sometime during the week Lizzie befriended this daddy long legs spider and named him (her?) friend. Friend spent his nights in her dresser drawer and his days on Lizzie's hand. I don't know what was wrong with him, but he DID stick around even when we left to go on adventures.
One of those adventures was to hike boulder field. This is a natural phenomena that occurred at the Hickory Run State Park. The girls hiked it a couple of years ago (I did not) and were happy to go back and do it again (I did not, again.) I sit at the edge of the field and watch them and this year they made it all the way across to the forest on the other side. I took several pictures of them as well as other people who asked me to help them out, since I was just sitting there:
This year the Master of Coin sprung for the $5 net, and the girls spent some quality time "fishing." They didn't catch anything bigger than a thumbnail, but they sure had a lot of fun:
Hannah's face will tell you how well we did at the Turtle Races this year. (LOSERS!!) It's fun to watch them run though and I have to say these were the fastest turtles we've ever seen. (The speed of a turtle being relative, of course!)
Here's a couple more golf shots. Here's Aunt Terry about to hit a hole in 14!
"The hole is over there," says Aunt Beanie:

It went a little wide, but not to worry, Hannah waded out into the thick brush to find the ball, which Aunt Terry happily (well not really) autographed at dinner that night:

Lizzie took this picture of the waterfall along the Hawk Trail. I made it almost all the way there, but my walker wouldn't fit on the path after the bridge, so I waited for them to see the falls and then hike back to me. The part I DID manage was pretty steep and rocky so getting back to the car was an adventured -- but I did it!
Rob took this picture of me and the girls once we were reunited after the water fall and it's one of my favorite pictures of the three of us:

We always make it a point to have a picnic at the Walter Francis Dam to see how the water table is doing. THis year it was doing so well that nearly all of the access road was underwater. Panama Bob and the girls were able to traverse it though, so I could grab this picture.
Paddle boating was new this year and a great time was had by all (even me, sitting on the shore with a delightful breeze and reading my book!)  I  may give the paddle boats a chance, once I saw how great Hannah and Lizzie were at it -- I probably wouldn't have to pedal at all!

We did have one rainy/cloudy day, so I took the girls over to the indoor pool. They loved it (as did the 14 million other kids in the pool!)
It's always hard to say goodbye to the Poconos (and to family) but we're already planning on what we're going to be doing next year (tubing, anyone?)

1 comment:

Rekha said...

Tracy,
Looks like you had a lovely vacation. Nice pictures. I saw a comment about tubing trip. Bob will tell you a story about my tubing trip and you are welcome to borrow our tubes. Yes, we have our own tubes. So, you can imagine how much I love tubing. :)