Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Easter 2020

Easter this year was different, but then still sort of the same.
For years we spent Easter at home, just the four of us because Rob had to work the next day and we liked going to our own church.
Occasionally we'd go to Grandma Connie's house, but usually it was just the four of us.
Several years ago Grandma Connie died, so I took over the Easter festivities at our home. It has only been a couple of years but we REALLY loved seeing Aunt Linda and Uncle Dude on Easter. So we missed them a lot this year.
We also missed going to our church, but not church in general, as we were able to watch the Mass at the cathedral in Philly. (Well three out of four of us did - Lizzie the sometimes atheist sort of hung out in the kitchen ...)
Then we had a delicious dinner.
Oh, and the REALLY different thing was that I eventually had to WAKE THE GIRLS UP to come get their Easter baskets. It is amazing how much sleep we are all getting in this time of nothing much to do!!
So here are some pictures of our day!

We started Saturday night with our first campfire. There were lots of sticks that needed burning before Rob could cut the grass, so we obliged by roasting things in the fire. Lizzie tried to roast a clementine, and that was a BIG SMELLY fail!

Easter baskets! I don't care how old you are, you still like getting candy once a year! (Or more!) The girls got a selection of items including some gift cards to do some quarantine shopping and Aunt Tina came through (as she always does) with more gift cards, silly games and CANDY. The Crunch bars in the picture are Rob's. I ate the bananas in the background.

FINALLY the girls got up around 10ish and were very happy with their baskets.

Then it was time for Mass. Hannah decided to get dressed up. Only Rob's head is pictured because he did NOT get dressed up.

Dinner time!

This is my plate. It's ham, mashed potatoes, corn, sweet potatoes (flavored with some butter and maple syrup). I also had green bean casserole, but I don't like it so you never see that on my plate. I notice as I am posting this that you can tell that I DO like potatoes though as they always dominate the plate!

 Here's the green bean casserole and one of its biggest fans!

Dessert was something called Devine Cake that is a recipe from Rob's family. I always incorporate family dishes and traditions in each holiday so the girls (and all of us, in fact) feel that connection to those who have gone before us. This cake is pretty much a very light pineapple cheesecake. It's made with cream cheese and dream whip (has to be dream whip!) and the crust is lady fingers. It is delicious and reminds me of Connie, but reminds Rob of his grandmother as it was her dish first.

YUMMY!!

 Did a little facetiming with Beanie and Bella to end the day. One of the things that I DO love about the quarantine is that I am able to see (virtually at least) and talk to family more. (And posterity, please forgive the terrible photo of me -- one should never look down at the screen while face-timing or zooming!!)

So that was Easter during the quarantine ... a good time was had by all!!

No comments: