I've lived through unique times before - the gas crisis of 1978, the AIDs epidemic of the 1980s, and the terrorist attacks of 9/11. Each carried with it a set of challenges and feeling that life would never ever be the same. And certainly there have been some lasting changes. We have had to change the way we do things. But while those events changed the way we do things, they really haven't done much to change who we are - for good or bad. I'd like to think that these feelings of bonding together or the opportunity for introspection and insight gained will last - but I know humans well enough that eventually we'll all be busy and crazy and stressed again. Back to human doings instead of human beings.
But we do need to remember these times because the next time something like this happens - and you all know there will be a next time - it's good to know that even though some of us are hoarders and conspiracy theorists and complainers, there are also (the majority I'd like to think) who really do want to do what's best for the greater good.
So, I talked to Hannah and Liz today about what's going on. We may revisit these videos when the quarantine is lifted and we can all roam freely about the country again - but at least they will remember what they were feeling three weeks in.
Here are there videos (Blogger won't let me embed long videos at the moment so you'll have to click through to get to the videos at YouTube!)
Lizzie on the Quarantine
Hannah on the Quarantine
(Hannah's is longer, but I add in my 2 cents on that one more! And also Hannah and I are both blabbermouths and Lizzie is much more poised and succinct!)
And here are some things that are going on in our world.
The girls last full day of school was March 12. March 13 and 16 were counted as snow days, but on the 13th the Governor of Pennsylvania closed all the schools for two weeks. Before the end of that two weeks, the schools were closed until April 30 and then just a few days ago the schools were closed indefinitely.
At OJR at this moment the girls are learning via the computer. It's different and Hannah does not like it. Lizzie is more comfortable with it because she already cyberschools three of her classes, but both of them miss the camaraderie of school.
Rob started working from home on March 19. We are coping. I'll leave it at that. :)
Gas prices are at a record low (around $2.09ish) but since you can't really go anywhere it is not nearly as enjoyable as it should be.
Some groceries are hard to come by. I have been trying to make my mother's pot roast for Sunday dinner for the last two weeks and was hopeful again for this upcoming Sunday, but so far there are no roast beefs in my 'hood. So this Sunday we will have quiche because I was able to score some bacon. Chicken seems to be in good supply though, so clearly no one likes that.
We were slow to get toilet paper but we are all set with that now. I sill can't get disinfectant wipes, but make do with Lysol cleaner and dish towels.
Oh and it took nearly two weeks for us to get some brown rice. I had a couple cans of tuna, but now that is unavailable, too. Luckily I can look at my pantry and usually come up with something to eat, but I do have to use my brain. No body is going to starve though - so that is good!!
So that's where we are. Things could be much worse, such as (as Lizzie and I talk about in the video) if Netflix wasn't available! But we have heat, and food and toilet paper and everyone here is healthy so I'll take that as a win for as long as it lasts!!
No comments:
Post a Comment