My friends are liars ... and I LOVE IT!Yesterday was a surprise 50th birthday party for me and it was lots and lots of fun (like 50 times of lots!) It was also the day that I found out that nearly all of my friends and family had been lying to me for most of this year.
It was during the spring that I came up with the brilliant plan to throw myself a huge 50th birthday bash because, well, I didn't think Rob's planning skills were up to snuff. But when I floated my extravaganza plan by him he was less than enthused about it so I got mad and decided to do nothing.
Of course the REASON he was less than enthused about it, was because he was in the midst of planning his own surprise birthday party for me.
And, apparantly his party planning skills ARE up to snuff. In fact they are perfect.
So for most of the summer and into the fall I've been lamenting to my friends and family and Rob's friends and family that he was a cheapo meanie because we didn't have the budget for a nice party to celebrate my actually making it to a half century.
And my friends and family and his friends and family all nodded and offered their condolences at my having such a cheapo husband ALL THE WHILE KNOWING THAT I WAS GOING TO BE HAVING A SPECTACULAR 50th PARTY!!!!
So, not only did Rob get points for having the party, he also got sympathy for having such a whiney wife.
Payback, of course, was that every face I saw at yesterday's party made me feel just a little more guilty for thinking that my husband was anything less than the perfect guy I have known him to be for the past 14 years.
So, thank you Rob, for my party and for not smothering my (previously) ungrateful self in my sleep. Oh, and I'm sure that I'm getting my puppy for Christmas, right?
:)
So the party was fun. I was surprised most by my parents showing up. You'd think I'd know by now that they happily fly all over the country for lunch or drinks, but, you know since I didn't think I was having a party, I wasn't thinking about where they might be on Saturday, Oct. 4. And, you know, the Devil Rays are in the playoffs so really, I'm surprised they are even answering their phone much less leaving Florida. I love surprises and this was a very special one.
The way I was surprised was unique as well. There's an oft-told story about how I refused to go to my surprise bridal shower. It's been exaggerated over the years (by me) but in fact I really didn't feel like going on a tour of a bed and breakfast on that particular morning, so I said I didn't want to go. But I did go -- I was just dressed like a bag lady while all my friends were in their shower finery.
This time they just decided to bring the party to me. I was expecting to have lunch with my mother-in-law, brother-in-law and sister-in-law yesterday, anyway, so it wasn't any surprise to see them arrive and the house (and me!) were ready to accept visitors. Then when my friend Kristen arrived (the first guest), Connie and Linda sprang into action and started whipping food out, hanging decorations and shooing me out of the kitchen. SURPRISE!!
For the next four hours people came and went, ate food, laughed, sang Happy Birthday and generally had a great time. People from all different areas of my life stopped by: the Moms Club, the Twins Club, long-time friends, family, etc. It was wonderful. Simply wonderful.
I didn't get a chance to take a lot of photos, but here are some that I did manage to snap. First, these are just a few of the flowers that my siblings sent me. These are sitting on the table that I set anticipating just my in laws for lunch. There were 50 roses in all, and they really added to the festivities. Aren't they beautiful?? They are peppermint stripe colored!
Here's a picture of my cake that I bought for myself before I knew I was having a surprise party. It's from Churchill's in Pottstown and it was delicious! Those flowers on the top of the cake are all hand made from sugar!
And here's my official birthday cake ... it's pretty and was also very tasty!!
My MIL and SIL getting things ready for the party. I am happy that they at least allowed me to take pictures, since they wouldn't let me do anything else!
This is my side of the family minus Ann and Brenna (who was sick) and Tally and Mark (who couldn't get a flight). They were all sorely missed and, yes, we did talk about you since you weren't there -- you know the rules! Oh and I really love that the 50 balloon looks like it's sitting on my head, just in case you didn't know who the birthday girl was!

There are the Rasmussens and party planners extraordinare! My mother in law wasn't feeling well and she was still the most gracious, perky party maker ever. Oh, and Linda, I'm sorry about that birthday Nazi comment when you were kicking me out of the kitchen. I didn't mean it (much.) :) Oh, and see thata guy with Hannah sitting on his lap? That's the man of the hour -- surprise party guru AKA Rob/Bob!
Hannah and some of the roughly 2 million balloons that were all over my house!
Here are a couple of my friends, Gayle (mother of twins) and Kara (soon to be mother of twins):
These are my friends Tash, Kristen and Julie. Looking at this picture now I hate them. Do you see how young and gorgeous they are? I swear I don't know why they hang out with me, but I'm glad they do! Happy birthday to Tash who turned 25 (or something like that) on Oct. 1:
These are the favors that everyone got to take home, made by my sister Tina. This little container is creative enough...
But check out what was on the inside! M&Ms with my picture on them. I was beyond excited about these, although I have to admit, it is a little weird eating your own head!
These are my friends Tash, Kristen and Julie. Looking at this picture now I hate them. Do you see how young and gorgeous they are? I swear I don't know why they hang out with me, but I'm glad they do! Happy birthday to Tash who turned 25 (or something like that) on Oct. 1:
These are the favors that everyone got to take home, made by my sister Tina. This little container is creative enough...
But check out what was on the inside! M&Ms with my picture on them. I was beyond excited about these, although I have to admit, it is a little weird eating your own head!
And I have to agree ... so far 50 IS nifty!! Thanks to everyone who made this birthday absolutely wonderful!!
2 comments:
that is just cool!!!! wish I could have been there to help you celebrate! just love those m&m's!!!
Sorry I had to miss it. I had so much going on yesterday. Anyway, I hope you got my little present on your door on Friday. I hope you had a great time and enjoyed every moment of it :) Love, Carrie
Post a Comment