Sunday, July 18, 2010

We are amused

Guess where we spent the hottest Saturday of the summer? That's right, with people dressed as giant candy bars and peanut butter cups!
It was fun though -- and believe me no one was more surprised that I was by this fact. This first picture was actually taken on our way OUT of the park and you can see that the girls are still smiling. Now, before you look at the rest of these pictures let me say that I didn't want to take my "good" camera into the amusement park, so I took my not-so-good camera, which is not-so-good apparently because it just stops working when it feels like it and then starts up again for no reason. So not only are these pictures pretty bad, there also aren't a lot of them.
However, I did manage to photograph the highlights for posterity.
And THAT, I'm sure is why Mr. Giant Hershey Bar is smiling.
The reason we were at Hershey Park is because Rob's company has its annual picnic there. I'm not sure there's a good reason why I was MESMERIZED by the local singing group, the Milkmen. I watched this show twice. In this song they are dancing to the number "Shake, shake, shake ... shake shake shake ... shake your HERSHEY'S, shake your HERSHEY'S." The best song though was M I L K, sung to the tune of Y M C A.

Rob and the girls preferred the ice cream that was part of the catered barbecue. Here they are enjoying the chocolate eclair bars. Prior to this they had fudgesicles and creamsicles. Yes, I let my children eat THREE ice creams at Hershey Park.We played games, too. These prizes were won at one of those squirt the water at a target game. When Hannah won her prize it was just she and I playing so she had no problem "winning." I had planned the same for Lizzie but just as the game was about to start, a guy put down money for his FIVE children and I was pretty sure that Lizzie couldn't beat them, so I took matters into my own hands and won the game and then let Lizzie choose the prize. Because that game had seven people in it, the prize was larger. I could have waited to let Lizzie win during the next round, but that would have cost me another $4. So disappointing the other five children seemed more economical... :) But the rides were the stars of the show. There were plenty of kiddie rides, so we stuck to those, although next year I think we will graduate to the slightly more thrilling rides like the round-up and the scrambler. This year we were happy to do the monorail, the bizzy bees, the ladybug, etc. Here's Lizzie on the monorail:

And Hannah with Rob on the monorail. There were some great pictures to be had during this six-minute trip, but this was one of the points where my not-so-good camera was not cooperating.
Oh, and ROB'S favorite part of the day was the food. The BBQ was nice. Burgers, chicken, dogs, salads, drinks, ice cream .... all very tasty and there were so many people working it that there were NO LINES. Which is, I'm sure, why we went back a second time a few hours later... This is the ladybug ride:
This is a mini-version of the fast swings ride. Hannah said it was her favorite. I told her that next year we'll go on the bigger one:
Lizzie liked this ride, too. You can just see her coming around the bend:


This is the bizzy bee ride. It was the only kiddie ride that seemed a little young for Hannah and Lizzie. Lizzie still liked it, but Hannah thought it was too loud. Basically the bees move really slowly and the kids push the buttons to make them buzz REALLY LOUDLY. We'll skip this one next year. The good news about the heat, though, is that the lines at the kiddie rides were short -- if there was a line at all:
We finished up the day on the Merry Go Round. Rob refused to ride, but I, thrill seeker that I am, rode one of the ponies. I thought I was so smart by choosing a horse that was in the down position, making it easier for me to get on. However, once the ride stopped, my horse was in the HIGHEST position making my dismount slightly less than graceful. I'll just leave it at that... ;)


It really was a nice day, even with the heat -- although the bathrooms at Hershey Park are air conditioned, just in case you need that info. And it was nice to see some of Rob's coworkers (hi Rekha!) and have some fun with the girls.

1 comment:

Rekha said...

Hi Tracy,
I told you I am very good with reading your blog. :) It was really nice to see you and girls.

Rekha