Saturday, December 17, 2011

Simple Woman's Daybook


For Dec. 17, 2011

Outside my window... Cold crisp almost-winter day. We've had some kind of warm weather this past week and I'm happy to say that today feels a little bit like Christmas, a little bit like snow and a lot like December.

I am thinking... about how nice the house looks when it's all dressed up for Christmas. We put the tree up (the girls and I) on Thursday and the stockings are now  hung with care, too. Oh, and we made the dog wear a Christmas hat for our holiday photo and that was fun too. At least for us.

I am thankful ... that my dear friend B's cancer is treatable and that they caught it before it did too much damage.

From the kitchen... Rob's cooking dinner tonight so I haven't a clue what's going on in HIS part of the kitchen. I'm planning to bake some snickerdoodles and try and find the ingredients for a plum pudding in mine!

I am wearing... grey pants, red shirt.

I am creating... my Year in Review Haiku. I know you are all beside yourself with curiosity about this year's installment. Or not. ;)

I am going ... on a picnic with Rob and the girls, and then to do some more cleaning and the girls need to interview Rob and I for a homework assignment.

I am reading...  "The Dovekeepers." I'm about halfway through and it's very interesting. There's a lot of history in there with the plot (but I'm enjoying it anyway!). My book club just read "Left Neglected" and we all really enjoyed it and it was great fodder for discussions about life choices. Aunt Anonymous recommended it.

I am hoping... that we have a peaceful and happy Christmas. I've been struggling missing my mother this season as I now have to figure out if the plum pudding can have shortening or butter instead of suet all by myself, but when you've got two 9-year-olds you realize pretty quick that it's not all about me. And Lizzie told me that shortening is fine.

I am hearing... silence. Which is unreal at 10:30 a.m. on a Saturday, but Hannah and Lizzie are at a sleepover party and since they are the primary noisemakers around here it's quiet. Maybe I'll put on the television.
Around the house... it's beginning to look a lot like Christmas. And it's also pretty clean thanks to our Nutcracker party two weeks ago.
One of my favorite things... Yo Crunch Blueberry Greek yogurt. It tastes like a dessert, but it's pretty healthy.

A few plans for the week ahead... Well it's the week of Christmas so we're pretty busy. We've got a party this afternoon and then there are parties in school and dance during the week. We're going to be doing a service project AND have a little party in Brownies, too. Luckily I have NO stories due this week so there is plenty of time for partying (and baking plum pudding!)

A Picture I am sharing... Last weekend we visited Mom's grave for the first time since the headstone had been installed. I like this picture because not only do you get to see the gorgeous stonework, but also the reflection of the nearby trees. When I picture my mom outside, it is almost always sitting under the sugar maple in the backyard reading a newspaper and drinking a cup of hot coffee, even in the middle of the summer.


1 comment:

Uncle Al said...

Thanks for sharing this