Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Way Back Wednesday

I think many of you have seen parts of this picture, but this is the full shot of the day that has come to be known as "the night Tracy did not go to the prom when her two sisters did..."
Okay, maybe it's only ME who calls it that, but this is Aunt Anonymous' senior prom, which would have been my junior prom. But no on asked me to the prom. So instead I acted as family photographer and made sarcastic comments to myself.
This prom was attended by AA and her date Paul, who happened to be the captain of the football team.
And then my sister Terry was accompanied by a kid named Kevin who was in my grade and had starring role in the spring musical. Terry was a freshmen. When I look at this picture I can really see how much my nephew Casey looks like her.
The middle couple were friends of AAs and mine. The girl is Lori who was friends with Aunt Anonymous and the boy is Dave who was friends with me at this time but the next year became my sworn enemy when he was named editor of the school newspaper instead of me because, according to the English Teacher, girls were not newspaper people.
But I digress ... I don't have much to say about prom because I didn't go (see paragraph one) but I assume a good time was had by all. For some reason I have a vague memory of going to school the next morning and seeing some of the prom-goers come to school still in their prom finery, but I don't see how that was possible unless prom was on a Sunday, which may have been the fashion in the 1970s. It was during regents, so I suppose it was possible, but I probably dreamed it, as I often dream of prom...
Oh, and here's some good news. The next year I wore Aunt Anonymous' prom dress for the chorus concert which means 1) It fit because I had lost 75 lbs and 2) I looked spectacular. :)
Oh, and don't worry about me never going to prom. I went to a local carnival instead and won a giant teddy bear or snake and saw the woman who played Rachel on "Another World" which was my favorite soap opera at the time, so it was a win for me, too.


1 comment:

Aunt T said...

The Prom was on a Thurs.(Cheaper to rent the venue) Fri. was Sr. skip day. Not being a senior I didn't skip school after this one. After my senior prom we went to either Sherwood Island or Jones Beach, can't remember which. Mom actually let me skip school!