Since I'm vacationing at the shore I thought I'd post a Way Back Wednesday taken at the shore.
This picture was taken at my bridal shower in 1994 at The Doctor's Inn. We were the first people to have any sort of event there (the house had been a private residence that had fallen into serious deterioration and it had been bought by a doctor the year before and extensively renovated to be a bed and breakfast/restaurant and it was well known that I loved the place and had written a couple of stories about the renovation).
The story goes that I refused to go to my shower, but that's not entirely true.
I did refuse to go to The Doctor's Inn because I was told that a salesperson at the Cape May County Herald (where both Rob and I worked) was going to be selling them an ad and we were going to tag along and beg for a tour of the new bed and breakfast.
Well, I didn't think that it was appropriate that I just TAG ALONG when a co-worker was trying to sell an ad. So I said No Thank You when my then fiance brought it up.
Of course there were a dozen or so of my closest friends awaiting my arrival and since it was a SURPRISE shower,but I didn't know about it.
(And in case you're wondering how I was able to be surprised -- since I am so nosy -- it's that my sister Tally was traveling out of the country that weekend, so I assumed that my surprise shower would be when she returned, so even when my very unsocial husband started insisting that I go on this impromptu tour with him I didn't catch on.)
The good news is that eventually Rob was able to change the story to say that we WERE invited to take a tour of the place, so I agreed to go.
And when I got there, a dozen or so of my friends and family yelled surprise and we commenced with shower fun.
Plan B was to have my mom come over to my house (which was only about a quarter mile from the Doctor's Inn) and surprise me there and then take me to the shower.
It was a lot of fun and the place was wonderful. It's a great memory and I think of it every time we're at the shore (and the girls know that's where I had my shower, too, although they are still unclear why something is called a shower when there is no water involved...)
Oh, I could have also posted a picture of the cake which had the sentiment: Best Wishes Tracy and Tom. Yes, my husband's name is Rob (or Bob or Robert or even Sparky) not Tom. Some creative frosting re-arranging fixed that problem. Oh and the air conditioning wasn't working yet and it was summertime ... but we managed with fans and lots of iced tea.
All's well that ends well though. I was surprised and had a great time.
Here are Aunt Tina, Shelby and Aunt Anonymous (and me, with the lovely corsage!) during the luncheon. As you can see I got all dolled up for the impromptu tour. :(

2 comments:
That is so nice, Tracy. I don't remember the story about that surprise shower. I guess Tally WAS home! Good memories of a shower which led up to a great wedding!
Glad I could help with the 'surprise'. It was a fun shower. (And I still have that pink top!!!!!)
Post a Comment