Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Back to School

Hannah and Lizzie started fifth grade today. I know that EVERYONE is writing and posting and saying that they cannot believe how quickly time goes, but I swear they were just little kids yesterday (and to be honest yesterday Lizzie was actually entertaining herself by watching Sesame Street...)
Now they are practically in college.
See what I mean? Here they are this morning:
 In my mind's eye, this is how I see them (and I think this is the last time they dressed the same on the first day of school). This was when they started first grade (and yes, Hannah has a black eye thanks to a run-in with a picnic table during a game of hide and seek two days before school started!) Oh, and that's our neighbor Abigail on her first day of kindergarten.  She's gotten a lot bigger, too.

And here they were with Abby this morning. Abby's a year behind them in school so they'll be together at the bus stop (AKA the end of my driveway) next year too and then Hannah and Lizzie are in middle school and then college and then ... well, you get the picture.

 I am happy to report that they had a great first day of school. They like their teachers and they each have enough friends in their classroom to make it worthwhile attending school. This year for the first time they are eligible (?!) for detention and Hannah is wondering what they have to do during detention (because during iCarly Sam has a GREAT TIME in detention and dances this Scottish Highland dance). I told her that it didn't matter what happened on iCarly, if she gets detention in 5th grade she'll basically be grounded for the rest of her childhood by her mother who is NOT a fan of Sam on iCarly. So she no longer has any interest in being selected for detention. (OY!!) But look at those sweet angelic faces ... no chance they'll get detention...


 I did my usual thing on their first day of school, which means I went to my friend Deb's house to have a boo hoo breakfast. We've done this enough now (her son is in sixth grade) that we don't boo hoo, but we do love the chat so we keep it up.

Then I come home and bake something for an afterschool snack for the girls. THis year I made brownies that I added caramel filled chocolate kisses to. There was something wrong with my oven so it took about 2 hours to cook (because it took two rounds in oven one for me to figure out that the brownies just weren't cooking at all and then I switched ovens) but I have to say they are delish!

So we'll see how the year goes ... but I do have to say we started strong and that is a blessing!!

1 comment:

Aunt Brenda said...

Everyone looks great - and the brownies, too!!!