
For September 15, 2013
Outside my window... A gorgeous almost-fall day after a week of roller coaster temps. On Tuesday it was 94 degrees and yesterday it didn't get out of the 60s. Today though it's the low 70s with just enough of a breeze to bring the smell of burning leaves to our house and bright, beautiful sunshine.
I am thinking... that just when I think I have my daughters figured out they go and get all grown up and stuff on me. As many of you know both girls have learning disabilities and have to work extra hard just to keep on grade level. Well Lizzie worked at her math nearly every day this summer and earned herself the ipod touch that she'd been wanting for a couple of years. To be honest, I didn't think she had the discipline to do it, but she did. So yay for Little Bit! Hannah also worked on her math, but not nearly as much, so she earned a pair of earrings from Claire's that broke about 10 minutes after she had them. (Don't worry, I am a crazy fix-it mom with super glue!) Hannah also figured out how to NOT whine and have temper tantrums in the last couple of weeks, too. So it's all good here. (At least at this very minute!!)
I am thankful ...for my husband who has decided to teach the children both horseshoes and tennis. Hannah is actually quite good at these things, which is clearly a DNA thing, while Lizzie is not, which is quite probably a mom yelling "watch out for the ball" thing.
From the kitchen... Meatloaf and mashed potatoes for dinner (and something green, too -- probably broccoli) and then I've got to get the stuff together for lunches for the week ahead.
I am wearing... green leggings, grey shirt, yellow big shirt and blue, yellow and green deck sneakers.
I am creating... so much stuff! The Eagle is keeping me busy (thank you!) and I've also agreed to become a reporter (volunteer because that's just the way I roll) reporter for the National Organization of Mothers of Multiples Club newsletter again. Oh, and also, I've got some fiction that's nearly ready to send out to an epublisher that wanted to see it (a year ago ... we'll see if they are still interested!).
I am going ... to keep my house clean. No, really, that's not a joke. In the last couple of days I've fixed my "desk" (aka coffee table) in the family room to keep all my stuff (don't worry, I'll put up a blog about it next week sometime) and the girls and I try to declutter every day. Rob's very good with directing weekend cleaning and the girls are finally old enough to vacuum well AND THEY LIKE TO DO IT so I have hope that my house (which will never be perfect) will continue to be presentable.
I am reading... Desperate Duchesses. I actually had to get on the waiting list at the library again because I only got to the first half in the two weeks you're allowed for a digital download. I like it enough to want to finish it, but not enough to really worry that it will probably be another few weeks before it's available again.
I am praying ... for way too many people these days. First my mother in law who is having a very very slow recovery from cancer treatment (but I am so happy that her most recent scan came back cancer free) and my friend Gail's mom who will begin cancer treatment for the second time and an old high school friend's daughter who is awaiting the results of a biopsy on a brain tumor. Please keep them and all the suffering in your prayers.
I am hearing... Rob cleaning out the vent for the dryer. It's been taking a good 90 minutes to dry even a small load, so it had to be done. We have a long long long dryer vent so my very smart husband figured out how to snake the thing and we are hoping it will work so we won't have to buy a new dryer. I think it will work because when the vent is disconnected the dryer works quickly, but the laundry room becomes a sauna, so, unless you want a sauna, it's not that practical. So Rob is being Mr. Fixit there!
Around the house... As I mentioned, things are looking pretty darn good. Once the clutter is under control I'm going to start a family tree project in either my living room or dining room (not sure which) that includes some cool wall stencils.
One of my favorite things... my recumbent bike. I got it well over a year ago and I still use it just about every day for 30 to 60 minutes.
A few plans for the week ahead... a quick look at my white board shows me that we've got a crazy week ahead of us (what else is new?) Lizzie's got dance on Monday, then on Tuesday we've got both Girl Scouts (remember, I'm the leader) and CCD and I usually visit my hospice lady on Tuesdays. Wednesday is back to school night and then on Friday I take off for a Girl Scout weekend training thing (I have to learn how to camp overnight, so I can then take my troop camping overnight!), so Rob's got the weekend driving duty. On Friday Lizzie's got TWO dance classes (ballet and modern) and then she's got nutcracker rehearsal on Saturday followed by rehearsal for the student choreography piece she's in and then on Sunday she's performing the piece at a local assisted living place. Also during the week I've got several interviews set up and Hannah has agreed to practice singing with me once a week for a half hour (because she was nervous about going back to voice lessons since there were high school seniors in the class.) Oh, and of course there will be homework and nightly reading and now Hannah is thinking she may want to do one of the after school intramural things ... luckily we like to be busy (or at least I do!) As you may have noticed we've got nothing Thursday night -- I really try very hard to leave one night per week "free" and one weekend day "free" so we can just hang out as a family.
I am going ... to keep my house clean. No, really, that's not a joke. In the last couple of days I've fixed my "desk" (aka coffee table) in the family room to keep all my stuff (don't worry, I'll put up a blog about it next week sometime) and the girls and I try to declutter every day. Rob's very good with directing weekend cleaning and the girls are finally old enough to vacuum well AND THEY LIKE TO DO IT so I have hope that my house (which will never be perfect) will continue to be presentable.
I am reading... Desperate Duchesses. I actually had to get on the waiting list at the library again because I only got to the first half in the two weeks you're allowed for a digital download. I like it enough to want to finish it, but not enough to really worry that it will probably be another few weeks before it's available again.
I am praying ... for way too many people these days. First my mother in law who is having a very very slow recovery from cancer treatment (but I am so happy that her most recent scan came back cancer free) and my friend Gail's mom who will begin cancer treatment for the second time and an old high school friend's daughter who is awaiting the results of a biopsy on a brain tumor. Please keep them and all the suffering in your prayers.
I am hearing... Rob cleaning out the vent for the dryer. It's been taking a good 90 minutes to dry even a small load, so it had to be done. We have a long long long dryer vent so my very smart husband figured out how to snake the thing and we are hoping it will work so we won't have to buy a new dryer. I think it will work because when the vent is disconnected the dryer works quickly, but the laundry room becomes a sauna, so, unless you want a sauna, it's not that practical. So Rob is being Mr. Fixit there!
Around the house... As I mentioned, things are looking pretty darn good. Once the clutter is under control I'm going to start a family tree project in either my living room or dining room (not sure which) that includes some cool wall stencils.
One of my favorite things... my recumbent bike. I got it well over a year ago and I still use it just about every day for 30 to 60 minutes.
A few plans for the week ahead... a quick look at my white board shows me that we've got a crazy week ahead of us (what else is new?) Lizzie's got dance on Monday, then on Tuesday we've got both Girl Scouts (remember, I'm the leader) and CCD and I usually visit my hospice lady on Tuesdays. Wednesday is back to school night and then on Friday I take off for a Girl Scout weekend training thing (I have to learn how to camp overnight, so I can then take my troop camping overnight!), so Rob's got the weekend driving duty. On Friday Lizzie's got TWO dance classes (ballet and modern) and then she's got nutcracker rehearsal on Saturday followed by rehearsal for the student choreography piece she's in and then on Sunday she's performing the piece at a local assisted living place. Also during the week I've got several interviews set up and Hannah has agreed to practice singing with me once a week for a half hour (because she was nervous about going back to voice lessons since there were high school seniors in the class.) Oh, and of course there will be homework and nightly reading and now Hannah is thinking she may want to do one of the after school intramural things ... luckily we like to be busy (or at least I do!) As you may have noticed we've got nothing Thursday night -- I really try very hard to leave one night per week "free" and one weekend day "free" so we can just hang out as a family.
Picture thought I am sharing: These pictures are big so that you'll be able to see what I'm talking about. On a recent trip to Somers I captured some ghost photos. In the first picture you can see a foggy blog near the sign post on the left of the photo, and then in the second picture it has moved to the right of the elephant statue, just below the elephant and sort of in the tree and then on the final photo it's moved over to the Elephant Hotel sign, just above the window over the letter "T." Of course it could be glare or dust on my lens or some other camera issue, but these weren't in any of the other shots, so I'm going with a ghost. Now WHO the ghost is, is open to discussion, but I have heard the town hall is haunted (and not just by the current Town Board ... ha, ha!) They may be a bit hard to see (the second one especially) but I didn't want to change the picture in any way before posting.



1 comment:
i noticed that the sign also disappeared in foto two - perhaps it will appear in some future foto
Post a Comment