Friday, July 24, 2015

70s Summer Week 4

Back in the ACTUAL 70s we went to a big amusement park once. It was Rye Playland and I remember going on various roller coasters and those swings that fly around in a circle but my favorite ride was the adult carousel they had. It was different from a kid's merry go round because the horses slanted to the side and bounced up and down quickly while the ride whipped in a circle at Kentucky Derby speed.

Flash forward about 40 years and I still like the merry go round and it's the only ride that I go on during our annual trip to Hershey Park, which just happened to be during this week. It's Rob's company's summer picnic and I think that this was the sixth or seventh year we've gone. This year both girls were tall enough to ride one of the big roller coasters, so they did that. You won't see pictures though because I couldn't watch. In fact, I stayed in a different area and played games until Rob and the girls returned (and just for the record, Rob didn't ride the coaster ... and the girls loved it!)

So we did play a lot of games, rode some rides and of course ate the catered picnic. The best part was that THIS YEAR it was NOT the hottest most humid day of the year. In fact it was warm with no humidity.

I love that Hannah and Liz will still pose with a giant Reese's Peanut Butter Cup:


Make this picture bigger so you can see Lizzie's face. Priceless. I'd feel the same if I was in there with Hannah steering.

And they flew pretty high, too. I shot this when they flew right over my head:

For something a little different we decided to have Hannah make a karaoke music video. (Lizzie didn't want to). Hannah had a blast. The place was air conditioned and Lizzie and I took advantage of that while Hannah made her video. When it was done, they showed it on the giant screen outside. She sang Taylor Swift's Shake It Off:

Lizzie on my favorite ride:

This is Hannah on my favorite ride. I also ride the horse but only got a picture of my foot. Which is actually kind of interesting because it was my feet that got all tangled up when I was trying to get off the horse, almost causing me to fall off, which I think would have been pretty embarrassing (not to mention painful) but I eventually figured out which was the right and the left foot and got off the horse safely, if not gracefully.

Hannah on the big screen:


This is the swinging pirate ship ride:

And this is the see how much you can eat throughout the day ride:



THis week was also Theater Camp week. Both Hannah and Lizzie think they'd like to be famous, so I thought they should have some lessons. SALT Performing Arts offers a camp that's a half day and the kids go through the whole process of putting a show together. This week the show was Annie. Liz was an orphan and Hannah was the Maid.

This is Lizzie delivering her one line. She had to cross the stage while delivering it, so it was kind of a multi-tasking role. :)

Hannah was Maid 1, Maid 2 and Maid 3, so she had three lines. And a costume. Rob and I were most impressed that she knew how to actually use a broom:

They learned a production number, too. Here's some singing:

 And here's some singing and dancing:

And of course there was time after the show was over, to pose with fans. Rob surprised all of us with stopping by on his lunch hour!

And in case you are interested, here's Hannah's video:

No comments: