Saturday, July 4, 2009

Happy 4th!

Happy Birthday America!! As you can see from the above picture it was a beautiful 4th of July weekend. Blue skies, a light breeze and warm but not hot temperatures and NO HUMIDITY. Let me say that again, NO HUMIDITY. We've had a barbecue, been to the pool, had some iced decaf and have generally been relaxing. Here are just a few of the things we've done, so far. that I managed to take pictures of.

The most exciting thing, by far, was the Firemen's Carnival. It's been in Norco for about 44 years, and Rob and I went once or twice (so he could eat the food) when we first moved here, but this was the first time we've been since Hannah and Lizzie were born. Frankly I had wished we could have waited a few more years because I am not so sure these carnivals are safe, but the carnival is right next to where I buy gas, and when I got gas on Friday the jig was up and it was all the girls were talking about. So Friday night we took the girls and told them they could go on two rides and play a couple of games. Here they are on the alligator roller coaster. Lizzie's not quite sure if she likes it:

Okay, now she's a convert:

Hannah loved it from the moment she buckled herself in:
The really good thing about this carnival was how nice the carnival workers were. Here the girls played a "pull the fish out of the water" game and had each won a small prize. The carnival worker told me that if I bought just one more fish ($2) that she'd give them both medium prizes. Since it's for charity, I did just that, and they came away with a polar bear and a fish. THEN, when I took them to another similar game, they each won a small prize and the guy who was running that one, gave ME a medium prize (a stuffed dog) because he said I was nice and Mom's don't get enough prizes. I personally think it was the cane, but, whatever ... I got something for FREE!! :)
And here they are on the Merry-Go-Round. They LOVED it. They loved everything about the rides, and next year we may even go to the afternoon matinee special where you can ride all you want for a one price. I was amazed that there were no lines to speak of and how nice everyone was. We finished off the carnival with some cotton candy, which I'd love to show you, but it's been all gone for a loooooong time now:Here's the crew at the Pottstown Parade. This is their sixth year at the parade ... we've been taking them since they were 9 months old, and we've sat in the same spot. There was an older gentleman who used to take their picture every year. We didn't see him this year or last year, so I'm hoping he just found another place to sit...:

Here they are enjoying their favorite float in the parade ... and one they talk about every year before we even get to the parade:

Here it is... the GIANT DUCK... they love it. I don't know why. My favorite is the string band, and Rob loves the Boyertown Alumnae Band (lots of old people playing instruments like they are still in high school) and of course the old cars. Hannah and Liz also love to see the prom queens come down the road, too ... and Hannah thinks that every Queen with brown hair looks just like her:

Here they are STILL enjoying the GIANT DUCK!: And we hope YOU are enjoying your 4th of July, too!

No comments: