Just about every Sunday you can find us driving around the back roads of Lancaster County listening to "A Prairie Home Companion," eating donuts, drinking coffee and taking precious time yell at Hannah and Lizzie to be quiet, stay in your seat and stop hitting your sister.
It's a lot more fun than it sounds.
Here are some of the scenes from our trip yesterday. It really was a picture-perfect day. However the pictures aren't exactly perfect because I was riding shotgun to Mario Andretti Rasmussen so I usually have about a nanosecond to snap a photo before I get whiplash or we've broken the sound/speed barrier.
Love the farms out there. There are dozens of them:
Beagles for sale at the first farm on the left:
I love Sundays in Lancaster because you can usually see the Amish out and about and it really does remind me of a simpler time (in which I've never lived.) Here are some horses enjoying their one day off. If you travel through Lancaster during the week you'd likely see these horses pulling some sort of gasoline-free farm equipment:
On Sundays you'll likely only see them pulling the occasional Amish family:
Beagles for sale at the first farm on the left:
I love Sundays in Lancaster because you can usually see the Amish out and about and it really does remind me of a simpler time (in which I've never lived.) Here are some horses enjoying their one day off. If you travel through Lancaster during the week you'd likely see these horses pulling some sort of gasoline-free farm equipment:
On Sundays you'll likely only see them pulling the occasional Amish family:
Or taking a rest...
...while their family picnics. This picture is at Poole Forge park where we often stop to play on the playground or wade in the river. Pretty much the same as the Amish people do. Only they get there on their bikes and in buggies. We burn fossil fuel. And eat highly processed sugary donuts.

...while their family picnics. This picture is at Poole Forge park where we often stop to play on the playground or wade in the river. Pretty much the same as the Amish people do. Only they get there on their bikes and in buggies. We burn fossil fuel. And eat highly processed sugary donuts.
Lots of lovely scenery:

Every time we drive through these towns I wish that I could be Amish. I love the simplicity of it. I love how the children always look neat and well-behaved and sweet-tempered. I love looking at the laundry flapping in the late summer breeze and the children playing volleyball or baseball or tag. I love seeing dozens of the Amish fresh from church, taking a few moments to chat with neighbors before they get in their buggies to head for home or to a neighboring farm for an afternoon of fellowship.
I sigh at these bucolic thoughts. And then Rob reminds me that they don't have air conditioning, Facebook or reality television. And that we only got four tomatoes from our garden this year. Jolting me back to my electricity-guzzling, produce shopping lifestyle.



3 comments:
This is so nice - such a simple life. Great pictures.
I do believe your first picture of
"horses" are actually mules. Check out the ears!
This is why I am not actually an Amish farmer (or own a horse farm.)
Post a Comment