Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Food



I love to cook. I love to eat.

It was, in fact, a perfect marriage until I found out that this perfect marriage of skill and enjoyment was destined for divorce court thanks to that dastardly interloper, HIGH CHOLESTEROL.

Now, I've had high cholesterol for a few years. In fact it's been a lot higher than it was when I went to the doctor recently, but since she's my NEW doctor she was alarmed and started saying things like, diet and exercise and vegetables. Oh. My.


She did not say words like chocolate chip cookies, cream puffs and raisin toast. Or ziti or lasagna or filet mignon.


In fact when I said them she said that I couldn't eat them. Not even in moderation. No one, it seems, NEEDS to eat cream puffs. Bummer.


So, after a full 24 hours of sulking I decided that I will engage my love of cooking in a quest for healthy meals in hopes that my family will still love eating what I've created. Or to be more specific that I will love eating what I've created.


So last week I made this vegetarian curry. It satisfies several of my requirements for food, the first of which is that it must be easy to find the ingredients in my pantry and spice cabinet. For this recipe I had to adjust some of the spices to things that I had on hand because I'm not the kind of person to run out and buy a jar of cayenne pepper when crushed red pepper flakes will work just as well. That, my friends, is also why I can never give you my exact recipes. I have no idea what goes into them.


Anyway, The verdict was mixed. I LOVED it, Rob LOVED it. The girls? Not so much. It is very spicy, which I could probably tone down, but it was soooooo good I'm not going to. Luckily both girls loved the rice that was served with it. For the leftovers I made a box of cous cous with raisins. Yummo as Rachel Ray (of whom I am NOT a fan, but I like the word) would say.
So it is with only moderate sulking that I continue my quest for good HEALTHY low calorie food. Her exercise recommendation (10 sessions of 30 minutes per week) will take a lot more sulking to get over.

1 comment:

barbarakosciewicz said...

This veggie curry looks AWESOME!