(Yes, I know it's Thursday, but I had technical difficulties on Wednesday so I'm pretending it's still Wednesday...)
People who know me even a little have probably heard about the tree in my backyard growing up. Well, here it is. When my parents bought the house they asked the builders to turn the house so that we could save the tree. So our house was the only one of the street that had the garage facing the street, instead of the front door. But we were also the only house on the street to have this gorgeous tree in the backyard. Unfortunately the people who built the house used the base of the tree for construction debris, cutting of some of the roots (or something like that ... I was 9 when we moved in and not really up on all the environmental factors that led to the eventual demise of the tree.)
Anyway, my dad did a lot to save the tree and because of that, we got decades of shelter in the summer and gorgeous color in the spring. We also buried at least one cat under it! I think this picture was probably taken in the early 1970s since there are a lot of lawn chairs outside for the three teenagers and two parents and a sandbox under the tree for the twins. The tree started to seriously fall down in the late 90s (it had started to lose big branches before that) and then finally succumbed to age and the elements a few years ago, after a big storm. But as you can see, it really was a cool tree and that's why I'm sharing this picture.

3 comments:
And a beautiful tree it was!
There is now a playhouse where the tree used to be. Tree finally went down after it was hit by lightning for the second time. I will say, we miss it very much in mid August when it is 90 degrees and sunny.
That was one strong tree, it was first hit by lightning the year after we moved in which would be 2000. It fell in three parts and the last part finally fell in August 2002 and thank goodness no one was outside at the time. The tree had been dieing for a long time. We miss that tree.
Ann:(
Post a Comment