Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Way Back Wednesday

I bet you think this post will be about my brother T.A. who, for once, is not wearing a sailor suit. But the star of this Way Back Wednesday post is right behind T.A. It's the family TV. In the history of my living in this house, this is the biggest television that we ever had. I believe my father now has a 107-inch television that gets 4,037 channels. This one was black and white. Now you may be thinking that since this feature is about the WayBack times, color television may not have been invented yet.

But the truth of the matter is that this picture was probably taken in the late 1970s. We were, I believe, the last family in America to get a color television set. Sometimes when Hannah and Lizzie watch programs from the 1960s (The Dick Van Dyke Show was a favorite for a long time) they'd often talk about how terrible it must have been for kids in the olden days to have to watch television in black and white. I was one of those deprived children.

The good news though, was that the television at college was ALSO black and white, which I didn't find as jarring as the other, more privileged women with whom I was housed. :)

Oh, and this is a very 1960s family room, isn't it? Dark paneling and lots of books! We spent most of our time in this room as a family and eventually we did get a color television set. I don't think I ever read any of those books, but I certainly watched a lot of television. Still do. (In color!)


3 comments:

Aunt Brenda said...

That is exactly how I remember your family room - TV, books and the college banners on the wall! Can't see the couch and the sliding glass door to the outside. Good picture of TA also. Big change to how TA and Ann now have that room. Good memories, Tracy.

Aunt Anonymous said...

Oh, the hours we spent in that room! I think some of those books are in SC now! Aunt A

Anonymous said...

We still can't get away from the nautical theme. Look at the clock on top of the TV
TA