Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Way Back Wednesday

This picture was probably taken during the late summer or early fall of 1969 which would put me at about 11 years old. You can tell that I was a stylish dresser even back then with my shorts-set and knee socks. That outfit was actually my "uniform" when I attended Girl Scout camp. I did camp for a few years and attended a scout day camp one year too. If this is 1969 it means that I had spent two weeks at camp, where we were awakened and taken to the mess hall on July 16 to see man walk on the moon for the first time.

I dated this photo because of the tiny trees in the background. We planted those pine trees when I was in fifth grade (Aunt Anonymous got them through her science class or science club) and they were about the size they were in this photo. Now the trees are about twice the height of the house and you can no longer see the house across the street.

Anyway, this picture is of my siblings and three of our cousins, Mary Kay (yellow shirt) and Ann Elizabeth (blue shirt) are sisters and my first cousins, the children of Aunt Mary and Uncle Al, my mom's brother. And the boy in the middle is Michael, who may actually have been a second cousin or first cousin once removed or something like that. His family lived in Scarsdale and I think he had an older sister Chrissy. I'm sure Aunt Brenda can weigh in on his parents, but I'm pretty sure his mother was my mom's cousin Rosemary.

And of course, most important, you will again notice my mother's obsession with dressing her children in nautically-themed clothing.

6 comments:

Aunt Brenda said...

Okay - Michael has a sister Christine, children of Rosemary McCormack and Frank Burke. Cousin Rosemary is the daughter of Henry Ambrose McCormack and Rosemary Burns. If I remember correctly I went to Cousin Rosemary's wedding in NY with Mother, maybe your mother (?) and Aunt Eleanor was there. I remember it must have been cold as people had on their furs. Uncle Henry died in 1949 in West Hampton, LI, NY!

Anonymous said...

I am amazed I did not end up in the Navy...I certainly already had the uniforms.

T.A.

Anonymous said...

Actually Rosie (who looked enough like Jo to be her twin sister and who was actually your grandmother's cousin--Aunt Rose was Jo's great aunt--her father was your great grandmother's brother) was married in the summer--the reception was at the WCC (must have been a good party since I remember it). Oh, yes,by the way I was there too.

Great series, Tracy, filled with nostalgia (sp?)-- Dad

Anonymous said...

It would have been July 20th not the 16th that you would have seen man walk on the moon because I was born the same day... Love seeing these old pictures. Nice job Tracy!!!

Ann.

Aunt Anonymous said...

Uncle A and I laughed our heads off at TA's comment...so true!


We also loved seeing the old cars in the background.

Trees were from the Science club 'reforestation' project...I think 6th grade.

Aunt A

TGR101 said...

Thanks Aunt Brenda and Dad for the additional info. Oh, and sorry Ann for trying to make you four days older.
Ha ha ha, T.A. (but true -- I've got MORE pictures of sailor suits, I think!)
And Aunt A, I thought the "old" cars were cool, too, until I realized they really weren't all that old for the time.