Thursday, January 26, 2012

Way Back Wednesday

Yes, I know it's Thursday, but Wednesday for me passed in a haze of sick Lizzie complaining and whining and being bored. Luckily I took her to the doctor yesterday and they were able to do a strep test and proclaim her strep free, despite the fact that she was SURE her throat hurt at least a 10, but maybe a 4 and then settling on a 6. That decision was easy though, compared to the thought it took her to respond to the question "Is anyone hurting you at home" (it's a standard question at an urgent care or ER these days) and she hemmed and hawed and decided finally that no,  not really, although her sister did hit her a lot and it did hurt, and also she never did nice things for her, which hurts her feelings. Seriously. This is life with Lizzie. So, she went to school today even though she thought that maybe her ear was starting to hurt and that the doctor didn't look closely enough to see the germs....

SO, Way Back Wednesday is appearing on Thursday. I'm pretty sure that this picture was taken on my 1st birthday outside our house in Massapequa Park, NY. (Edited to add: It's looking more like this was taken at my Aunt Winnie and Uncle Durwood's house in South Weymouth),  However, it's possible it was taken a little earlier than that but since you can sort of see some evidence of fall on the ground, I'm sticking with my birthday (Edited to add -- it may have been a wedding my parents were attending and not my birthday at all), which is in early October.  My mom is holding me. Aren't I cute??? (And oh yeah, that's Aunt Anonymous with our dad.) You'd never know that in about three or four years I'd have a full head of frizzy curls. This picture is interesting to me for several reasons. First, it's a picture of my father as a young adult. There are only about 5 or 6 of those in existence. And this is a picture of my dad as a young adult and SMILING. What is it about men and smiling in pictures? They just don't want to do it. So who is taking the picture? I have no idea.
Anyway, I remember very little about the house in Massapequa, except that there was a huge fire one day somewhere in the neighborhood. I remember people talking about it and I seem to recall the smell of smoke in the air, so it was possibly close to our house. My sister Terry was born the next year and then we moved to Illinois where we lived for the next seven years.

6 comments:

Aunt Brenda said...

Nice picture - I remember that house as I used to go up there on occasion when I lived in DC - your dad used to get me at the train station about midnight or so on Friday and I would stay the weekend. Everyone is dressed up so must have been some occasion. Really good picture of all of you!

Aunt Anonymous said...

Hopefully Dad can weigh in with some info regarding 'the occasion'. Love seeing the old pics! Aunt A

Anonymous said...

it is NOT the house in Massapequa Park--If I had to guess I would say that it was in S. Weymouth at Winnie(?)and Durwood(?)'s

Dad

TGR101 said...

Dad is right, I think. Looking at it more closely it DOES look like Aunt Winnie and Uncle Durwood's grey clapboard house. I have a picture of the Massapequa house that Rob took a couple of years ago and it's not grey clapboard. Any guesses on the occasion. The photo is dated Nov., 1959, but it looks too warm out to be November in Massachusetts.

Aunt Brenda said...

Hmm - that is a bigger house - But I thought Aunt Winnie's house was white with the barn sort of beside it and back a little. It's not either house on Great Republic as they were small. I'm getting old. I would have been in DC at the time this picture was taken.

Aunt Brenda said...

Wonder if it had anything to do around the time of Mary and Al's wedding in October 1959.