This picture is interesting to me for several reasons. First, anyone who knows me, has seen this expression. Obviously I began perfecting it in my rebellious teen years. Also this picture shows why I much prefer to be TAKING the photos, not starring in them (seriously, what is UP with my hair???)
Mostly though, I love this picture because it includes my Great Aunt Marian, Ging Ging's sister. It was always fun when Aunt Marian was around. I'm pretty sure that we were sitting at the table at Ging Ging's apartment getting ready to eat tuna sandwiches and then watch one of Aunt Marian's "stories" on television. She was a CBS watcher, but we would sit and watch with her, even though at the time we pretty much watched NBC soaps at home.
It was always fun to go to Ging Ging's apartment. It was right on the "square" in S. Weymouth, so we were allowed to wander around by ourselves. We could easily get to the movies,the 5 and dime, the drug store, the music store, the library and -- my favorite -- the bakery. There was also a park right behind the apartment building that you could see from Ging Ging's balcony and in the summer they had free programs where we made all sorts of things with gimp and telephone wires.

5 comments:
Aunt Marion died in October 1976 - I think this picture may have been taken after late 1973 - not sure. The picture in the background appears to be of Tim and Theresa - not positive. The playground was named Stella Terrill and I used to walk from Blanchard Rd up there to play - nowadays that probably would not be considered safe. Good picture of all of you.
It is safe to walk there today, I have afriend who's son bought ahouse across the street from the playground. Uncle Al
That is good to hear, Al. Spent a lot of time up there.
Uncle Al! I love that you are commenting!! Hope all is well in your world!
Aunt Brenda, I remember going to Aunt Marion's wake right after I started college in Boston, so I knew it had to be 1976. I took the "T" and met Mom and Ging Ging there. It was the first wake I'd ever been to.
It was at McDonald's Funeral Home - all of "our" funerals were there. I even put my father there but found out a couple of days later he had wanted to go to another funeral home (C.C Shepherd)- too late then!!
Post a Comment