Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Way Back Wednesday

Well that week went by quickly, didn't it? And here we are taking another trip down memory lane. This time it's not exactly MY memory, but rather a photo from a bag of pictures my dad sent up to me via Terry who visited him a couple weeks ago. Lots of good stuff in there that I'll be sharing over the next few weeks, but I wanted to start with this one because, CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT WALLPAPER??? Seriously, what were people thinking in the 1950s?

:)

Actually I like this photo because it means I can introduce you to my dad's mom, Alphonsine. When we talked to her, we called her Grandma, but when we talked about her it was always Grandma Garrity. I have no idea why, as my mom's mom was Ging Ging, so it wasn't like we were going to get the grandmas confused. That's her there on the left. My mom (looking VERY much like my sister Terry) is in the middle ad that handsome, almost smiling guy on the right is my dad.  I don't see a ring on my mom's hand so this picture was taken before 1956 but I have no idea where. The couch actually looks like a couch at Ging Ging's house, but it's unlikely it was taken there. 
And does anyone else think it's totally adorable that Mom and Dad are holding hands? Sweet.


3 comments:

Aunt Brenda said...

This was taken at the house on Blanchard Road. At one time the wallpaper was a very pale yellowish stripped but Mother changed it. This new wallpaper was called "banana leaves" and was quite a shock when I first saw it. Out of character to have something this wild! I wonder if the picture was taken before the wedding or at the engagement tea.

TGR101 said...

Thanks Aunt Brenda -- I KNEW I recognized that couch!! Maybe Dad will chime in about when it was taken.

Anonymous said...

I was so overcome by the wall paper that I have no recollection --knowing how my mother dressed, tho, it was probably the engagement "tea"

Dad