Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Way Back Wednesday

It's Wednesday so get ready to take a trip back in time. Today our destination is 1961 where we discovered that not only was I a totally adorable 3-year-old, but also it's quite likely that I am related to royalty. For those who don't know, my mother's family has been here since the Mayflower. In fact, we are related to TWO passengers on the Mayflower. One, I think was a good guy and the other, I think was a horse thief or something. I'm sure Aunt Brenda can fill us in on the comments.


However, in this picture I'm sure it's clear that we are not just related to The Pilgrims, but also to Queen "We Are Not Amused" Victoria. Sure when we were kids we knew her as "Ma," our great-grandmother. In this picture Aunt Anonymous and I were visiting her for some celebration (although I have to say that AA and I were VERY well dressed little girls so it's possible this wasn't a celebration...). But if you look closely you'll see who "Ma" really was. 
This is Ma...


And this is Queen Victoria. 
See what I mean??
Well, I have to say that I noticed the resemblance the first time I ever saw a picture of the Queen, even though Ma died when I was in kindergarten and I only remember about three things about her.
1) She never walked anywhere. She always sat very regally and everyone waited on her.
2) She wore a lot of hats. Probably to hide her crown.
3) She got mad when she saw people hanging their laundry out on Sundays. (I have no idea what this has to do with being a Queen, but it's the third thing I remember about her...)
Oh, and I was kind of scared of her although I probably had no reason to be. 

Perhaps that's not enough to PROVE that my great-grandmother was Queen Victoria, and SURE, Queen Victoria died more than a half-century before the top photo was taken and PROBABLY I'm not really related to royalty, but a girl can dream, can't she? Oh, and I'll add that I have no idea who the little girl with the back to her camera is. She's too old to be Terry or our first cousin Mary Kay, but she might have been the grandchild of one of Ging-Ging's siblings.

4 comments:

Aunt Brenda said...

Well, Ma never walked any where - she had a bad heart - would take the steps VERY slowly at her apartment in Quincy one at a time (I now know why!). The reason she didn't like clothes hanging out on Sunday as Sunday was supposed to be a day of rest. No work and she didn't like me wearing dungarees on Sunday (now called jeans!) I don't think she even crocheted on Sunday. Our Mayflower line is through Papa (English). As you know Ma was Irish descent (Grady and McCormack).

Anonymous said...

That's a great picture,I do not know where it was taken,My guess of the little girl could be Mary Kay.or Marsha Harrington. Uncle Al.

Aunt Anonymous said...

Of course it was a celebration...we we were visiting Ma! I never remember being outside with her...always in the darkened room with all the doilies. Aunt A

Aunt Brenda said...

Ma always sat by the window in the living room so she could see all the comings and goings. Either she or Aunt Marion knew who the people were in their building and what they did. Aunt Marion would leave the building to go to Melrose to see Eleanor but NOT on a windy day. Lee and his siblings referred to her as Mimi - but Ma was always Ma.