This week's picture is of my Godparents, Jo-An and Hammy Hamilton. The Hamiltons were childhood friends of my mother and Mrs. Hamilton even went to college with my mom. We visited them whenever we went to visit Ging Ging, and once, long after Ging Ging had passed away Rob and I traveled to South Weymouth where the Hamiltons had an art store (it may have been a framing store -- but I remember lots of art around). Mr. Hamilton gave me some advice on decorating by telling me that I should get a large projector and put a picture of a cow on my wall and trace it. Viola -- instant wall art! He was kind of crazy as I remember and I was very sad when he passed away several years ago, even though we didn't see them that often. Mrs. Hamilton was and is every bit a best friend to my mom. In fact, she made the ride from Massachusetts to New York to pay her final respects to my mom last March. It was great to see her, but heartbreaking under the circumstances.
Here they are in happier times -- this is my parent's surprise 25th anniversary party held at Peter Pratt's Inn in Yorktown (I love surprises and so whenever possible I like parties to be a surprise, even if OTHER people don't like them so much...!!!) You can also see Aunt Brenda in this photo off to the right. Aunt Brenda was (and is) the kind of cool aunt that every teen-age girl wants to have. You can see in the picture that she was very cool with her funky mod jewelry and 'fro! (See Aunt Brenda, it was only a matter of time before you made it to WBW!!)
The Inn is still there, still operated by the same family (although it is now the son who runs the The 25th anniversary was also attended by Uncle Al and Aunt Mary as well as local family friends the Ports and my dad's college friends the Ackers. Oh and all my siblings were there, too!
I have no idea what we got them for a gift, but I do remember having friends from all stages of their lives write letters and send photos that we put into a scrapbook to give them.
The 25th anniversary was lots of fun, especially since when all was said and done, I'm thinking that my dad probably paid for the dinner...

1 comment:
Tracy--
Joan Hamilton did not go to college with your mother--your aunt, Brendas, your great aunt, Elinor (i think0 and your cousin Marsha--all went to Lasell--not all at the same time, tho
Dad
Post a Comment