Thursday, April 19, 2012

Way Back Wednesday

This gentleman is Dr. George Port, superintendent of the Somers Central School District for all of my schooling there, and also for many of those years my mom was on the school board. So we got to know Dr. Port really well. He and my mom talked often on the phone and spent many meetings together. They were good friends and almost in-laws (I sincerely believed they were hoping!) as my sister Terry dated young George (Dr. Port's son) during high school. Which is how I know, (but have no idea why I remember) that Dr. Port liked a big bowl of ice cream as a before bed snack!
We all love Dr. Port, though, especially when he'd call the house at 6 a.m. during the winter months because that meant NO SCHOOL!!
Of course there was also the phone call during which my mom was told that a certain daughter had skipped school for senior cut day ... but since I didn't get in (too much) trouble, that was quickly forgiven.
I last saw him at my mom's funeral, sad in spirit, but happily reminiscing about there decades-long friendship that survived well beyond the school board years and a move to Florida. Terry still keeps in touch with him, so we can all find out how he and his many children (even more than us!) are doing.
This picture was taken at my parents' 25th wedding anniversary. There's Dr. Port and his wife Ann Port and my sister Beanie looking like she's all of 15 years old, which, if my math is correct, she probably is. :)

No comments: