
One of those days ... we've all had them. You know, the kind of day when you put salt in your coffee instead of sugar, or you drip jelly down your last clean shirt?
Well, today I am having one of those days. And, since I rarely have them, I'm having about 47 all in one.
So far today:
I smashed not one but TWO of our cars in the driveway. I did this because I was being nice and going out to get Rob's suit from the dry cleaners and ice cream for Shelby who was babysitting tonight when we were going to Le Bec Fin, a fancy French restaurant in Philadelphia where Hannah and Lizzie thought we were going to eat snakes (no way) or snails (possibly). Rob parked his car in a different place in the driveway which I saw before I got in my car, but then promptly forgot until I heard the crunch of metal (or plastic or whatever his car is made from). His car got the worst of it, but my bumper got a bit crinkled too. I was going, MAYBE 5 miles per hour, which shows you what American cars are made of.
THEN, I got to the dry cleaners and they told me they don't take credit cards for sales under $20. I've been getting things cleaned there for many years and this is the first I've heard of it. So I had to dig through my pocketbook to find my checkbook while a line formed behind me.
THEN, I'm on my way home from Kolb's dairy (where the organic 2 percent milk is still only $3.73 a gallon if you are reading this and live nearby) and I take a wrong turn on Ellis Woods Road. Granted, I was coming home a new way, but still, I DO know my way around here (except obviously NOT today).
THEN, I get home and Lizzie comes up from the basement and tells me that she has a headache which never bodes well for her, so I take her temperature and it's 101 degrees. Then Rob told me she'd been complaining of a sore throat this morning, too.
THEN Hannah asks me to make her a grilled cheese sandwich, which I end up having to do three times because I burned one side while I was searching for the mayonnaise in my refrigerator and the second side (which I'd switched over and just added another piece of bread to) when I was rejoicing FINDING the mayo, which, it turned out, was right there on the bottom shelf in front of the milk.
THEN I have to call my mother in law and tell her that because of the feverish child with the sore throat and crankies and the distance between Le Bec Fin and my house (it took my sister 2 hours to get home from Philly on a Thursday night this week!) I just didn't feel comfortable leaving my drama queen home with a babysitter, even if it was the most beloved cousin Shelby.
My mother-in-law gave me the best piece of advice I'd heard in a long time when I told her all the exploits of my day (and it was only noon!) and she said, "Tracy, I wouldn't even go out to the mailbox today!"
So that's why I have TWO blog posts up today. I'm staying put (and waiting for the insurance adjuster to call...)
I hope YOU all are having a better day.
No comments:
Post a Comment