I had heard at Curves several years ago that Matt Crane (who played Matthew Corey on AW) and Robin Christopher (who played Lorna on that show, but is probably much better known as Skye Quartermaine on my second favorite soap of all time, General Hospital) had built a house in the area. In fact, I even made Rob drive me down the Nantmeal so I could stalk the house. Then, being the really bad stalker that I can be, I promptly forgot that they even lived around here, much less that they have two children, a 4-year-old and a 2-year-old.
Until today.
Today was the day that the girls and I went to Monkey Joe's, a bouncing, playhouse type thingie (http://www.monkeyjoesphilly.com/) that opened on Saturday about two minutes from my house. So I was sitting in the midst of the mayhem (a local day camp had about 150 kids running around) trying to pretend that I was ... well, ANYWHERE else ... when this couple came in with their two children.
My first impulse was to mock them because they were holding hands. Serious posing, I thought. Sure he's cute, but really NO ONE comes to Monkey Joe's to steal someone else's husband. You don't need to hold his hand, even though he is VERY cute. Then it dawned on me that his cuteness was familiar. My next thought was that I had dated him once a long time ago. Then I figured that I probably knew him from a former life. THEN it dawned on me that it was none other than Matthew Corey who was somehow managing to talk on his cell phone in the midst of the chaos (not to mention that MY cell phone wasn't even working in this building). Then I checked out the wife and it was, indeed, Skye Quartermaine.
I tried to call my sister Tina, who is also a crazed GH/AW fan, but, as I just mentioned, my cell phone did not work in the building. Luckily Tina is not so crazy about Skye or Matt, so there was nothing really lost. If it had been Jason, I would have had to ask to borrow HIS phone to call her.
Anyway, so after I realized the celebrities were in our midst, I had a dilemma. I am a BIG fan, and I think that people like to know that their work is appreciated. However, I am also TOTALLY COOL and did not want to look like the slobbering, stalking fan that I know I could be. At least until I was distracted by the concession stand or the giant monkey walking around the place.
So instead I figured I'd just hang out and wait for an opening. For the next hour I sat next to them, eating pizza (they were eating pizza, too, although I'm sure they followed their pizza with a 4 mile run and a Pilates class instead of coming home and napping on the hammock) and we watched some of the tennis match together. I almost said something about the tennis, but thankfully thought better of it because, I actually don't know anything about tennis.
It was getting time for us to leave (because I was losing what little hearing I have left) and, of course, Hannah and Lizzie did not want to leave.
Hannah had hugged Monkey Joe, but Lizzie had not. Lizzie had the same chance, but at the moment that the giant purple monkey made his appearance, she said she wanted to finish her pizza. Then when it was time to go she decided that she had to run all the way to the back of Monkey Joe's to accomplish this task. Then she had to bounce on every inflatible and slide every slide on her way back.
So that gave Hannah time to play with the hula hoops
Which, it turns out, gave me my opening.
Hannah was hula-ing away, very badly, as I'm sure you can imagine since she has never hula-ed before and she's not the most coordinated of my children. Or anyone's children.
So it only took a minute before she hula-ed right into Matthew Corey's son. Skye was sitting in a chair across from me. First I told Hannah to watch out. Then I said to Skye: "You know when we come to these places our goal is not so much fun as it is to not end up in the emergency room."
We smiled at each other and I'm certain that she went home and told her husband all about the incredibly charming and funny mom with the uncoordinated, yet equally charming child that she met at Monkey Joes.
Or maybe not.
Anyway, it was fun for me because even though I talk to celebrities every week, much of the time I don't even know who they are.
I hope you all had a fun day today, too! Here's a picture of them (not at Monkey Joe's -- it's not a formal place...)

No comments:
Post a Comment