Sunday, April 5, 2009

Painter Girls

A couple of months ago I decided to update the girls' room. They decided it needed updating too -- although that was probably because basically all they've had in the room for the past year or so we've lived here is a bed, a dresser and whatever artwork they pin onto the walls. Oh, and clothes all over the floor.

So they decided that the theme of their room should be the Disney Princesses. Why? Because most kindergartners are enamored of the princesses. But I am not. And perhaps neither will the 8-year-old version of Hannah and Liz or the 9-year-old version. And since I'm not the kind of person to redecorated more than every 5 years ago, we all compromised on a mod-70s, flower power theme.

I let them pick the bedding and paint colors (well, okay, I narrowed it down to two or three acceptable colors and THEN let them pick, otherwise the room would have been pink on pink...)

So this weekend I packed them off to Grandma's house, with Daddy (and Uncle Dude made an unscheduled visit, too, I heard!) and their bikes.
Here they are getting ready to leave... we've switched from the cat theme to the bunny theme in the house (although Hannah is technically a mouse, but she's an EASTER mouse):

And me getting ready to miss these cute faces:

And this one, too.


Once I sent them on their way, I was free to paint for the next 24 hours. Of course there was NO WAY I was going to paint alone. So I invited my sisters to help out. We painted my sister Tina's apartment a few years ago, and except for the fact that it took about three weeks (okay, three days) to do, it was fun.

Unfortunately Aunt Anonymous was unable to make it this time, and perhaps that explains why THIS paint job took only about four hours, including a long lunch break. I believe it is directly related to the fact that since I was in charge of this job instead of Aunt Anonymous, there was no use of that blue painter's tape. We took care of this job the old fashioned way: we just slapped the paint on and hoped for the best.

So here's Beanie (Tina) working on the purple whisper wall (actually more of a stage whisper -- it was darker than I thought it would be) And yes, for those of you who might think otherwise, Bean's actually PAINTING and it came out looking great:


And Terry very happily doing some cutting in on the green goddess wall. Behind her you can see that the purple whisper and green goddess actually look pretty good together (you know, if you're into the whole 70s flower power scene...)And here they both are. I did do quite a bit of painting myself, by the way, but someone has to take the photos to document the job... After they left I continued on with the trim work and decided to paint Lizzie's dresser that same green goddess color. And then I stuck flower decals all over it. But for those pictures you're just going to have to wait for the Before and After pictures when the project is completed. I also rented "The Duchess" through Tivo and it was okay, but I probably should have rented "Australia" instead.

Hannah and Liz (and Rob) had a great time at Grandmas where they went to the zoo (plug for the Cape May County Zoo -- it's free and in the spring/fall not too crowded!), played catch and cards with Uncle Dude and were introduced to Yodels (thanks a lot Grandma!)

They loved the colors in the room and didn't seem to mind that there wasn't a princess in sight!!

1 comment:

Aunt Brenda said...

Tracy - Love those colors and it looks like you all had a good time. Can hardly wait for the "before" and "after" pictures.