True?
Oh well, whatever day it really is .... here's the Way Back Wednesday photo:
This is one of only a handful of photos from our years in Elk Grove Village, Illinois. We moved there when I 2 and then moved away from there when I was 8. I don't remember a whole lot about Elk Grove, but I DO remember quite a few parties like this on the back patio. That's my dad, by the way -- looking very 1960s suburban, right? Handsome, too. And I'm going out on a limb and say that the dip in the foreground of the photo is my mother's famous Egg Dunk dip, made from mayo, ginger, hardboiled eggs and curry powder. In today's world it's the kind of dip you eat with vegetables, but back in the 1960s (and 70s, 80s, 90s) it was served with potato chips.
I'm also going to go out on a limb and say that there is probably some alcohol in those glasses, it being a day ending in the letter "y" and all. (Ha Ha.)
Here's a couple of things I remember about Elk Grove:
Aunt Anonymous sat in a chair that collapsed on the patio and bled all over the chair.
Terry got her finger caught in the back door of our house (I may have had something to do with that by it was a loooong time ago....) and bled all over the backseat of the car on the way to the emergency room
I once lost TWO teeth while eating the same sandwich cookie
There were actually Elk that you could go visit in a park somewhere. I think we went there one time.
The twins were born shortly before we left for New York -- but they still managed to get a write-up in the local newspaper. A write-up in which I was identified as "Tressy" because TRACY was such an unusual name for the 1960s (not.)
We had a million guppies and they all died of Ick. (A disease for fish, not a commentary on their fish tank or anything.)
There was an A&P a few blocks from our house and we regularly walked there to by candy with our friends (no parents).
We walked several miles to school each morning, back home for lunch, back to school after lunch and then home for the day. In the snow there were no phone poles to count so we were on our own.
I had a boyfriend named Ricky Stevens.
I had a best friend named Ann McNulty.
I used to watch Days of Our Lives with my mom and Mrs. Pauli next door, while they did their ironing.
I still watch Days of our Lives. But I don't iron.

5 comments:
Love this. I remember going there with Mother for one Christmas. I took some vacation days and it was SO cold I think we left the house once Cold like 10 degrees and I said I would not go again. This was the time that you got Tammy for Christmas and I slept with her so she would not cry and wake you all up. I did go one other time as a stopover coming back fromTaiwan and it was Terrry's birthday when I called from O'Hare--to please come get me but do not let your grandmother know I was there!!
A few more thoughts and memories...
School was actually about 4 blocks from our house...I didn't believe it until I went back!
Ice skating on the street...We loved it, but Mom was worried there was no electricity for heat or food!
Huddling in the hallway during a tornado warning because a pregnant Mom could not fit into the crawlspace hatch in the closet of my bedroom.
Flying kites, but being worried they would catch on the high tension wires behind the house.
I remember most of the above. I do remember being in the McNulty's
crawlspace for one tornado warning - too many kids, the radio and the coffee maker :) But, I think one of my favorite memories is making the float for the Peony Parade. I still love peonies!
1. I still have that "plate"
2. I am suprised at how close the houses were
3. I am also suprised at how young I looked--not only do I have hair but it is brown--my guess is that this was '62 or maybe '63
4. There were no telephone poles in Elk Grove--we had underground utilities
Dad
Thanks for all the comments. Aunt A I mapquested the walk to the school and it was something over a half mile -- and remember we did it FOUR times a day! I also remember some sort of high wires that our kites got stuck on.
Terry, the McNultys had at least 7 kids that I remember!
Dad, the picture is dated 1961 so you were pretty close and if it makes you feel any better (younger!) Hannah and Lizzie knew it was you!
I remember when we got Tammy and also that you and Ging Ging hated the cold weather.
Post a Comment