Monday, September 3, 2012

30 years!

This is the second of several posts that I'm catching up on. Make sure to scroll down to see how we spent the day with the Kevins a few weeks ago!

Somehow, impossibly, Terry and Ray have been married for 30 years. Now, Terry was something of a child bride, but since I am two years older than she is -- it's just hard to wrap my brain around.

Originally I  had planned to put a photo of Terry and Ray's wedding but I don't have one. I can't believe it, but I've looked through all my photos (including pix from weddings I wasn't even at!) and I can't find one. So, instead I'll have to tell you what I remember about Terry's wedding. It was the first time I'd ever been someone's Maid of Honor. I did manage to put together a surprise shower (my favorite kind) and it had a cooking theme. All of the attendees brought their favorite recipe and some sort of gift that went along with it. Since I was the maid of honor I got her a peignoir set, but I hid it in a set of cookie pans.

Her shower was also memorable because I was living in Boston and planned to drive back to New York with much of the stuff I'd baked in the back seat of my car. Then my car broke down. So instead I had to fly home with my suitcases filled with cookies and cream puff shells.

The wedding day itself was the usual craziness. My primary memory (other than the rolling bar) was Terry saying she could NOT get married because the flowers that were going to be on the tables at the reception were ALL wrong. And I also remember that when Ray knelt down at the alter his brothers had written OH NO in tape on the bottoms of his shoes! Funny stuff.

Well, she did get married and now, 30 years later we are celebrating that! Terry and Ray had a party to celebrate that milestone ... here are some of the pictures from that party:

Here's the happy couple. They are dancing in this picture, which I didn't take. Thankfully someone else picked  up my camera and shot some photos while I was yelling at the kids (all the kids!) down at the pool:

Terry and one of her best buds, Lisa:

The band was Nate and the Aces, but Ray sat in on the bass for a few songs, too:


The kids were there, too. Here's Casey (now a college sophomore) and a few of his friends trying to dance and light tiki torches simultaneously:


And here's Shelby (on the right) a college graduate with two of her friends:

My dad offered a toast:

Bob and Hannah danced with Uncle Ray:

Bob, the girls, Tommy and Brenna all played the very dangerous game of Jarts and lived to tell of it. Here's Lizzie winding up:

And Tommy letting one fly:

Here are two more lifeguards. There were a lot of kids at the pool so we needed lots of lifeguards. Luckily we had several adults at the pool. Unluckily not a one of us was prepared to jump in and save the kids. Luckily, that wasn't necessary:

As usual, T.A. spent his time wisely:


Here's to another 30 years and a CRUISE to celebrate it:

1 comment:

Aunt Anonymous said...

Nice post. Sorry we couldn't be there...looks like fun. Everyone looks great in the pictures!!!