Monday, September 24, 2012

The Pokeyournose 2

Here's the second of two posts. If you haven't been here in a few days (and you care about our exciting lives) you can look below this post to get to the first Poconos post.

Here's a few other things we did during the week!

No trip to the Poconos is complete without at least one (or six) trips to Hog Heaven. Here are some very happy ice cream eaters:

VERY happy ice cream eaters:
 Hannah is multi-tasking at Hog Heaven. Lizzie was also multi-tasking by hula-ing TWO hoops while eating her ice cream, but that proved too much as the ice cream went flying out of the cone. Luckily the people at Hog Heaven are extremely nice and gave her a whole new ice cream cone:

As promised here's a picture of Uncle Anonymous at dinner, where he spent most of the time in deep political discussions with Hannah: 

We tried a new activity this year and took a ride on the Scenic Railroad out of Jim Thorpe. Rob went all out and popped for the open air car and a great time was had by all. Not as great as it would have been in first class where they served snacks, but better than the steerage seats we usually get on attractions. :) Seriously, it was a lot of fun, as you can see by these happy faces:
 It was hot the week we were in the Poconos (compared to usual) so the open air was nice. Here's Lizzie enjoying the scenery and the breeze:

When they get to the end of the run, they take the engine from the front of the train and send it around to the back, so then everything goes in reverse. It doesn't take much to amuse us because we all thought it was kind of cool. Here's the engine as it went by us:

Here's a little piece of history. This is a foot bridge that hung over the river and the tracks (it was about 10 feet over the top of the train). Back in the day (like even before I was in school) kids had to walk across this and then wait for a train to take them into town to go to school. I'm pretty sure that I would have gotten to school this way about ZERO times. That bridge was SCARY:

After the train ride we had lunch in a park. The girls thought it was great, but I had a bit of a war between the pierogies and empanadas I chose from the food cart:

And speaking of food, here is a lovely picture of the Garrity family on our last night at Terra Cottage. We didn't go to dinner together, but ended up sitting next to them just so I could take this picture:

Of course we always find time for the lagoon. Here is Hannah showing off her cannonball form. The form is great, but since she's as light as a feather, there's not much splash. Lizzie was doing full out flips off the diving board, but I didn't get any good pictures of those:

You never know what wildlife you're going to see in the Poconos. Here the kids are very excited to see a duck (seriously, I say again, it does NOT take much to amuse us):

 AND... we ever saw a BEAR!!

This is why they call it a scenic railway -- beautiful views. I can only imagine how stunning this would look in the fall ... I guess we'll have to go back!

1 comment:

Aunt Brenda said...

You have such good memories from this year and those in the past! Nice to see how the kids have grown. Great picture of Uncle A included, too. Good photography of the whole visit.