We left Rincon at around 11 p.m. and got to Fayetteville, NC at around 4 (after a lunch break at the worst Chik Fil A in the nation -- it was a WALK UP or drive up with no inside seating and a bathroom that was rough even by my very loose and low standards. We walked up and were treated to sitting outside breathing in everyone's exhaust fumes while we ate our lunch which was tasty, but not tasty enough to make us forget the gross bathroom and the exhaust. Also this Chik was in total contrast to the one by Tally's house that was one of the MOST pleasant Chik Fil A experiences that I've ever had with people who got the order quickly, correctly and even said things like please and thank you and do you need barbecue sauce?)
We were back on the road (from Fayetteville in case you forgot during that long aside) at around 4:30 and by then Rob had decided he was going to 'go for it.' His goal was to get us to within two hours of home, but once I heard that I knew we were going to go all the way home because really, after 10 or 11 hours on the road, what is two more? Especially when stopping meant we'd have to unload children and suitcases and cooler and DVD player?
I don't have any pictures from this leg of the trip because I was trying to pretend that I was anywhere except in the car. It was cramped and noisy and my stomach was rebelling against all the junk food I'd eaten. Eventually Rob decided that if he could stop and rest his eyes for 30 minutes we'd make it the rest of the way home.
So he, being a very smart man, stopped at a mall at around 8 p.m. so the girls and I could go out and look around for 30 minutes or so.
We also did some shopping because seriously, has anyone ever known me to go to a mall without picking up a little something???
45 minutes later we were back in the car refreshed (me, too -- amazing that retail therapy, isn't it?) and back on the road.
By 10 the girls were asleep and Rob and I were listening to piano concertos on the CD player and talking. It was actually a very nice end to the trip.
Of course then we got home and it was soooooo cold. And that was INSIDE the house!!!
The Easter Bunny had been at work earlier in the day setting up an elaborate and (the next day when we did it) totally fun and cool egg hunt that included lots of yarn and candy, and unfortunately also had to dispose of one of our fish that she (the Easter Bunny) is pretty sure died from hypothermia because Rob -- ever one to save on propane -- turned the heat down to 50 or so and the fish couldn't take it. Luckily I'm the only one who ever really even looks at the fish, although the Easter Bunny and helpers did manage to get one that looked sort of like the old one, so thanks for that.
So the first thing I did was to turn up the heat. The second thing I did was to get three very tired girls (me, too) into my bed with our clothes AND jackets on. That's the way we fell asleep and that's the way we woke up at 8:30 a.m. when it was finally back up to 69 in the house although it was 25 outside.
Here's my illustration of the cold. The first picture is the girls on Saturday morning and the second picture is Rob on Sunday morning.

In all seriousness we had a great trip and hope to do something like it again in the future (probably far in the future!) Thanks to all who opened their doors to us during the trip!
No comments:
Post a Comment