We decided to stop in Savannah because we'd never done any time in Georgia and it was only about 5 hours in the car.
So five hours later Rob says to me, where do you want to stay? And I say, How about a Hampton Inn (since I am a member of their frequent visitor club, if you consider once every 18 months or so frequent) and he says okay.
So I go to the book that I got him for his birthday that shows everything off of every exit on I95. I tell him there is a Hampton Inn at exit 109. So, imagine my surprise when at roughly exit 94 he turns off the highway.
"I said, exit 109," I said.
"I know," he said. "My book says there's a Hampton Inn at this exit."
"Okay," I said.
But then we are driving and driving and driving. And -- worse yet -- the DVD the girls had been watching was ending. And we drove some more.
Finally I said, "Where is this Hampton Inn?"
He said something like, "just up here..."
And we keep looking 'just up here' until finally I take a look at his book and see that it is an AAA travel guide from 1995.
Seriously.
1995.
So I got on the phone with the Hampton Inn and reserved us a room (one of only two left) at the Hampton Inn at exit 109 and we go there. After some additional driving.
The Hampton Inn was actually overbooked, but since we got there 10 minutes after I made the reservation they gave us a room they had just given to someone else. I'm sure someone arriving at midnight was sleeping in the lobby, but it wasn't us.
We had comfy beds and a delivery pizza and a hot shower... well, actually we DIDN'T have a hot shower. So I, in a rare New Yorker flashback went down to the front desk and asked for a discount for the room because really, a hot shower should be standard, especially when a family of four was going to be spending the next 12 hours or so in a confined environment.
And they comped us the room for the whole night. YAY!! So not only did I find us a hotel for the night, I found us a FREE hotel. I rock. :)
Here's Lizzie enjoying the good news about the free room:

And here's Hannah enjoying the card (and the $2) she got from Grandma Jo!

It's hard to believe that my next post will be about the last day on the road, but it's true. That week went by FAST!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment