Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Christmas Day

This is the second of three (count 'em THREE) Christmas posts, because THAT'S just how busy we've been. Be sure to scroll down to look at the previous one and come back for the next one (because can you EVER get enough Christmas with the Rasmussens??)
First, here's just a little snippet of our not-too-early Christmas morning:

That got us started off right, with lots of squealing and craziness that lasted throughout the day. The zhu zhu pets were a HUGE hit and I'm happy to say that I did not spend an arm and a leg on them ... although I probably would have because they wanted them that much! They are basically mechanical hamsters that run around and make funny noises. Lizzie got Mr. Squiggles and Hannah got Pipsqueak. Only she almost DIDN'T get her zhu zhu because, just like real hamsters, Pipsqueak escaped. You see Mrs. Santa was busy putting the finishing touches on the gift display when to my wondering eyes did DISAPPEAR was Pipsqueak. I had forgotten to turn the zhu zhus off (because they were having so much fun running around their habitat) and somehow Pipsqueak got out through one of the doors and started scooting all over the living room. I couldn't not find him ANYWHERE. I was having flashbacks to my youth when hamsters always mysteriously disappeared in our home (we did have several cats, but I'm not going to think about that now...) Eventually, after much searching and calling (note: zhu zhus can't hear) I did find Pipsqueak jammed up against one of my couches.
Our dear friend Aunt B joined us for dinner and took some time to give both girls a makeover, with a makeup kit given to Hannah by Grandma Connie. Suffice it to say that most of the makeup is used up, but the makeovers were fun.


Here's Hannah, also sporting a pair of earrings that Aunt B made for her:This is where I spent most of the morning. In this picture I am making mashed potatoes while wearing a very unflattering hairstyle and sweater:Of course on Christmas with the Rasmussens, it's all about the prime rib. Which, thankfully, came out perfectly (although I cannot say the same for my gravy). Here's Rob carving:And here's just about everyone getting ready to dig in:
Dinner was roast beef, mashed potatoes, turnips, corn casserole (delicious and made by Aunt B), glop (it's the green bean casserole recipe made with canned asparagus), sweet potato crunch, creamed onions and dinner rolls. Pumpkin pie and French Silk Pie were the desserts. Here's Lizzie digging into the French Silk Pie:
However, my FAVORITE (and there were many from which to choose) part of the day came before dinner when we were all chatting the living room and Rob yells, "WHAT'S THAT GIANT DOG DOING ON THE FRONT PORCH???"
I looked over my shoulder, out the bay windows and saw this:
Now, does that look like a dog to you??? I tell you, Rob spent WAY TOO MUCH TIME growing up at the shore. Anyway, this baby deer (still had some spots on his neck) hung out and ate the bushes right outside our window for a long time, no doubt lured by the reindeer food put out by the girls the night before.
Oh, and as a ADDED bonus, while we were watching the deer eat, he also pooped. Right there in the front yard. That was Hannah and Lizzie's favorite part of Christmas. Seriously, they are still talking about it!!

No comments: