For December 19Outside my window... we're having a blizzard. Right now we've got only about 4 inches, but we're supposed to get a foot or more by tomorrow morning. I love the snow since I have a husband who plows the driveway!
I am thinking... how much the snow makes me think of Christmas and how lucky I am to be safe and warm. One year, when I was working in Boston, I wrote a story about a homeless shelter that was closing and this would be the last Christmas for the residents, and just as I was driving there it started to snow and snow and snow (as it often does in Boston). It really hit home that without the shelter all those people would be out in the snow, freezing. I led with that, and (I'm sure completely and totally because of my story ....) the shelter remained open.
I am thankful ... that I am losing weight again. Had the family in for our Christmas celebration last weekend and managed to lose 1.5 pounds at my Tuesday weigh-in. Yay for me and the stress I was under. I really think that anxiety is the best metabolism booster out there!
I am thankful ... that I am losing weight again. Had the family in for our Christmas celebration last weekend and managed to lose 1.5 pounds at my Tuesday weigh-in. Yay for me and the stress I was under. I really think that anxiety is the best metabolism booster out there!
From the kitchen... not much going on cooking-wise, but Rob and the girls are playing a board game and no one is crying (well, Rob is whimpering, but I've learned to ignore that!) Later, Rob is making nachos for dinner (I'll have something else) and the girls and I are going to decorate some gingerbread people.
I am wearing... pink slipper socks, grey sweatpants, pink shirt and black quilted jacket -- nice and cozy.
I am creating... so many different things. It's Christmas time, so I'm working on our annual Holiday Haiku, which I should finish up and get in the mail. I'm also doing a lot of writing and putting together my annual Year in Review photo book for the girls birthparents.
I am going ... to take pictures of the girls sledding later on. We have a couple of small hills that are pretty good for 7 year olds to sled on. But again, I remember when I was a kid there was a huge hill way behind our house (on the Boniellos property, maybe?) and we'd tobaggan down it and it would take FOREVER to walk back up again. When you're 12 it's a lot of fun, but I suspect it would NOT be fun now.
I am reading... "The Help" by Kathryn Stockett. Just started and already love it!
I am hoping... to take a nap this afternoon. Nothing like taking a nap on a snowy afternoon the week before Christmas.
I am praying ... for my friends (and frankly everyone in this situation) who will have a sad Christmas because of the economy or family troubles or tragedies. Hannah and Lizzie and I have been donating toys and other things to families that we know, but prayers help, too, I think.
I am hearing... The girls playing the game while Rob is the ref. The snowfall is getting heavier and the wind is picking up, so I am beginning to hear the blizzard, too.
Around the house... Rob and the girls did some cleaning this morning, so things are looking good. We're all decorated for Christmas and we've got lights up and stockings hung and (for once) Santa brought our tree and decorated it early, so that's looking pretty good, too. I bought a new couch for the living room which makes that room nice and cozy and a great place to sit and watch the snowfall.
One of my favorite things... I have discovered this week that one of my favorite things is (are) my sister in law Ann's chocolate covered marshmallows. I asked her to leave the leftovers from last weekend's party so that I could share them with my Brownie troop on Tuesday. Well, they didn't make it anywhere NEAR Tuesday. They are low in points and a perfect snack for the mid afternoon (mid morning, late night ... well, you get the idea!!) They're yummy. I try to dip stuff in chocolate, but it just never tastes the same.
A few plans for the week ahead... Well, it's Christmas on Friday, so you can imagine that the week ahead is pretty busy. We're supposed to go to Rob's extended family's Christmas party tomorrow, but I'm pretty sure we won't be going to Jersey, thanks to the snow. Then I'm also pretty sure that on Monday the girls will have a two hour delay, which is actually okay because our cable isn't working right so the cable guy is coming Monday morning. Then on Tuesday I've got to finish wrapping and last minute shopping (stocking stuffers) so that on Wednesday I can shop for our Christmas dinner (prime rib is the star of the show) and then help out in Lizzie's classroom for their afternoon Holiday party. I have to make four dozen cookies for Hannah's party at the same time. Then the girls' winter break starts on Thursday and we're going to try and get to the evening Mass before going to Terry's for Christmas Eve Dinner, followed by driving around and looking at Christmas lights. Then it's home to put the Zhu Zhu village together (after girls are sleeping) and to put the American Girl Beds together too. Then somewhere in there is sleep and then getting up to celebrate Christmas. YAY!!! On Saturday and Sunday we're expecting Grandma, Uncle Dude, Aunt Linda and Aunt Tina. So it will be busy, but a lot of fun! Hope your week and holiday are great, too.
Here is a two pictures I am sharing ... In the fall we were invited to my friend Deb's church Harvest Dance and I never blogged about it (intended to ... just got too busy in November!) Anyway, Hannah LOVED every minute of it, made friends with a couple of older girls in the youth group and was just thrilled to be out on the dance floor. Lizzie spent most of the time out in the hallway with Rob, where the two of them avoided the dance floor. The evening was saved for Lizzie when she won the afghan she's wrapped up in in the second photo. So, ultimately, a good time was had by all!



No comments:
Post a Comment