Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Talented Kids

We had a talent show in Brownies today. We're working on a long-term project called It's Your Story: Tell It, which is a leadership and self-esteem building exercise. I'm trying to get the girls to understand that everyone is really good at something (and conversely that most people are usually challenged in an area, too) and that we can a find success somewhere.
Hannah decided to dance in her new pointe shoes, doing a small rendition of the Chinese Dance that she's doing for Nutcracker. I'm still impressed that she can dance in these shoes since she's never had any lessons in them. The other Brownies were very interested in the toe pads! Oh, and the costume she's wearing is from her cousin Shelby's dancing days!


And Lizzie -- who could not figure out a way to get a piano to the meeting -- did her old stand-by, animal impersonations. She had the brownies all laughing at her silly cat and dog, but everyone really seemed to like this one the best ... it's not everyone who can accurately imitate a snake!


We had a great time with the show, with singers and dancers and musicians as well as a couple of martial artists and gymnasts. A couple of the girls did some flexibility shows and I even had one who could spin for five minutes without getting dizzy. (I got dizzy watching her and we stopped her after one minute!)
It was a fun exercise and Lizzie exclaimed that even SHE didn't know that all her fellow brownies were so talented!!

1 comment:

Aunt A said...

I'm passing along the baton...you can run the next family talent show!!!!!!Love this as a project for the brownies.