Sunday, May 31, 2009

Recital!

Today was the girls' first dance recital. Oh, what a time we had!! If you want to skip to the bottom of this post, you can see the final product (actually shot during yesterday's dress rehearsal), or you can meander your way down there as we go through the day in pictures.

But before that, let me just tell you that the 24 hours between the dress rehearsal and the performance were quite exciting! (And not in a good way!) Almost as soon as we got home from the theater yesterday, Lizzie pushed a swing and knocked Hannah right in the face below her right eye. I was convinced it would turn black overnight, but it didn't. She just had a gash on her face.
THEN, Lizzie decided to take her Giddy Up and Go Pony and attach it to her cozy coupe car and ride it down the hill on our driveway. Which she did. Right into the stream. We heard her screaming and looked outside to see her in the stream, the horse in the stream, Pinky Pie (who was riding in the car) in the stream and the car sort of sitting next to the stream. I swear if that horse had been alive, Rob would have shot it! He first grabbed Lizzie who was screaming that her back hurt, her leg hurt, her head hurt, and gave her to me, then he went back and retrieved all the animals and cars from the stream. And NOT gently.
But both girls were fine and it was all just drama for the cameras... oh wait, we're NOT in a reality show. Well, then I guess it was just drama as usual around here!
:)
Today I made them stay pretty much in the house where they couldn't get hurt until it was time to go over to the theater for the show.

When we were told that Hannah and Lizzie DID need to have their bangs slicked back. I had asked and was told no, initially, but I guess someone changed their mind. So here's Hannah getting her hair done by one of the backstage moms:
Despite the serious expression, Hannah loved EVERYTHING about the primping and preening to get ready for the performance:


And here's Lizzie with her bangs back off her face (I know that Grandma Jo is rejoicing seeing these pictures!) and her crown on. Seeing their shoes in the above picture reminds me that I actually left their dance shoes in the car and so I had to find Terry and Shelby and Tina in the theater and ask one of them to sprint to my car and get them. Tina (yes, TINA) volunteered. I was too busy to see her sprint, but I bet it was a sight to see. (Sorry Bean, I couldn't resist, but thank you for getting the shoes!): The girls' pre-ballet class has only three students - lots of individual attention. Here's a picture of them with Julie, the other student. Hannah and Liz look forward to seeing Julie as much as they do the dancing each week:
Once everyone had hair and make-up done, it was time for the tutus:

Then I pretty much got kicked out of the Green Room, where Lizzie reported the waiting part was very boring because people kept telling them to sit down. She told me she loves the dancing, but not all the waiting around. But they sure do look cute waiting around, don't they?:

Here are a couple of shots from the performance. They danced to Bari Improv from "August Rush," which is a movie I've never seen. The fourth person dancing with them is Miss Kelsey, who helps out with their class. She's an extraordinary dancer:


Right after the performance (no tears, no big mistakes, lots of cuteness on the stage) with their teacher, Miss Lynn:


Miss Lynn said they could keep the crowns and wands they used in the dance, and they were thrilled. Here they are accepting flowers and compliments from throngs of admirers (parents!):
The complimenting continued on the home front, too. Aunt Terry, Aunt Tina and Shelby came back to the house for cupcakes and lemonade and the presentation of more flowers and two chocolate ballerinas, which all pretty much became our dinner:

A wonderful time was had by all ... and we're already looking forward to the future. There was a ballet performance with two high school girls in it, and I was tearing up thinking that will be Hannah and Lizzie in 10 years. I also decided I want them to take tap, Irish and break dancing. So I'm off to Craigslist now to look for a job. :)
Enjoy the show:

2 comments:

Aunt Brenda said...

Love the posting!! So funny. Go Rob!! Also love the hair as I am sure does your mother. The girls did a great job. Terry, Shelby and Tina look great in the after pictures.

Anonymous said...

Too cute! They look like they had fun (Terry, Shelby and Tina too!). Aunt Anonymous